Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The current fence is 4-5', but has two low spots where we ran out of fence and used old stuff that's only 3'? tall. I was thinking if the bamboo stakes are 4-5', then I can make the fence look closer to 9' tall. Here's hoping.
I once saw a post of a deer proof fence that was just fairly small diameter wood of various heights when "planted", gaps between them. Apparently the deer don't like the varying height of the "posts". Thus your jury rigged fence may be a deterrent. Maybe weave some branches in the fishing line to make them more obvious?

Red maple - free tree! - for shade and possibly firewood
In your kid's life time ;)

I don't know if it will even get cold enough here to try to tap the maples to make syrup. Probably not enough quantity to make anything.
Likely not. They need a long freeze then a freeze overnight, above freezing during the day cycle to get the sap pumping. Once they bud the sap will be nasty so no more syrup making. Tree should be minimum 12" diameter for a single tap.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
They need a long freeze then a freeze overnight, above freezing during the day cycle to get the sap pumping.
Umm, we don't freeze here... Sometimes the grass/field will get frosty but not consistently through the winter.

Maybe I can plant some maples at the in law's cabin, it is above the snow line so I'm pretty sure that would get cold enough. Would have to figure out if they could completely survive without human input, it's almost an hour drive away and unlikely we'd be able to check on them often.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im also currently battling deer, they got into my garden and ate so much, i wanted to cry lol. we are trying really high netting this weekend. 8 feet, from amazon. This time of year they have babies and are very opportunistic, hope your fencing keeps them out.
Yeah, there's one with a cute spotted baby I keep seeing on the long driveway. There have been 2-3 "attacks" so far, but I don't think they have gotten in after I hung the Irish spring soap up.

I was able to get some bamboo stakes at home Depot last night, six 6' stakes for $3.28, so I'm weaving that into the top of the fence and then using the cotton string to make a zig zag net look. I think the whole thing is close to 8' now?? I think I can get more done this evening after work. I did about 18' of the fence line last night before deciding that being dizzy on a step stool at 11 pm fiddling with stuff with my arms over my head might not be the best idea. Hubby was already in bed. Couldn't get a picture last night as it was too dark, and forgot this morning. I'm going to redo the low spot I fixed earlier too, make it look less trashy.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
These were a few days apart, same doe and fawn.
KIMG1202.JPG

KIMG1225.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Umm, we don't freeze here... Sometimes the grass/field will get frosty but not consistently through the winter.

Maybe I can plant some maples at the in law's cabin, it is above the snow line so I'm pretty sure that would get cold enough. Would have to figure out if they could completely survive without human input, it's almost an hour drive away and unlikely we'd be able to check on them often.
Might want to check with the locals before you spend the time and money. And then there is that time thing, you WILL be planting your "sugarbush" for your kids.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went to green acres again yesterday for some more nursery pots, and checked out the fruit trees/plants while I was there. They had a sale on the raspberries for $1 for a 1 gallon pot!! I bought 3 'Lewis' variety, going to pot them up until we figure out where we'll have the berry patch. I also bought a second pineapple guava.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about planting redbud trees around the house? They make small trees that won’t fall on your house, but give nice shade.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll have to look at the redbud trees, see if they would work. Definitely going to order more trees/bare root for this winter now that we are starting to figure out how we want the place to look.

Still need to figure out irrigation, NID starts on the winter cycle so we need to get it figured out sooner than later so we don't get held back a year. They only offered us water from the canal at the bottom of the property, so we'd have to pump it uphill to feed the whole property.

Hubby wants to get it from the upper side so everything will be gravity fed. It would have to cross at least 3 parcels, probably closer to 5-6 to reach us from that direction. But, if we could get it from that direction, we are pretty sure the neighbors would also pitch in to get access (two grow pot plants). I don't know if NID will allow us to pull from that direction though. The good part is if it is allowed, we already have an easement through the neighboring 3 parcels (who would benefit from the water) for the access road and utilities. Would just need an easement through the ones beyond that.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I picked a bunch of Roma tomatoes, need to find a recipe for making pasta sauce. I have a hankering for lasagna now, need to figure out how I can make it. I've done it before, twice I think, but always figure the ingredients wrong so it ends up a ridiculously large amount of lasagna. Maybe I should make it at my folks house, then there'd be 6 people to eat it instead of 2. Plus I want to see if I can do it with zucchini noodles, at least for part of it. I think it freezes ok too (not sure with the zucchini option) so would be good to make ahead especially as I get closer to due date.