Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moved 2/3 shipping containers on Wednesday, final (40 foot) to be moved on Friday. That is the one we've been living in, so we moved into the house last night. The cats cried the whole drive but liked being able to explore the house. Hopefully we can get the final stuff moved and actually get the new flooring installed by the end of this weekend.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Husband wants the dogs at the house already. Have to keep reminding him that we don't have a fenced yard for them yet, and I'd like to get more hiding/retreat spots set up for the cats. He then reminds me that his dog can jump/climb if she wants to...I really hope they can all get along. The dogs are purebred Havanese; his dog is retired from in-laws breeding program and the new puppy is actually her granddaughter.

I'd like to build a catio so the cats can safely enjoy the outside. Maybe someday. The dogs could probably use it too. Maybe have two pet doors? Floor level and head height leading to outside cat walks? That way the cats wouldn't be trapped by the dogs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep all my dogs behind a fence. When we moved here almost 6 years ago, We had a fenced back yard built and that went to Paris, our totally nuts Great Pyrenees. We had a Great Pyrenees puppy that went on a chain during the day, in the house in a dog crate at night to keep the coyoted from eating him. Our other 2 dogs never went outside that we didn't go with them. What a relief to finally get enough fence built so that we could let the dogs out.

If your husband's dog can climb a fence, put a hot wire at the top and at the bottom to keep her from digging out. We have the back yard hot wired for Paris.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The dog is roughly the same size as the cats, and according to husband she's quite agile. I guess Havanese do ok with agility competitions. I think she'll respect a fence, we just need time and materials to install one. It sucks having full time jobs when we have such a long to-do list for the new house.

I told husband I didn't want the dog on the bed. I grew up in a household where dogs were not allowed on the furniture at all, cats only allowed on couches, beds, etc, but not tables. Guess whose furry behind is on the bed? Furthermore, she's on MY side of the bed. I'm going to have to research dog training techniques, maybe we can train both dogs to go in their kennels at night.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dog did not sleep on the bed. One cat actually slept on the bed part of the night, probably as territory claiming action. It's been pretty quiet, dog I think just wants to sniff the cats and cats just want to keep distance. No chasing at all so far.

We have some no climb fencing but will definitely need more to fence a lot of the property. I think I know what we will be asking to receive for Christmas.

I think I've figured out if I get 200' of 1" grid wire mesh 6' tall fencing I can make a Poultry Knox that's at least 25'x50' and separated into a zone for the chickens and turkeys. I just need to bite the bullet and order the wire mesh, I think the whole project will cost around $900.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sucks having full time jobs when we have such a long to-do list for the new house.
Yeah but the money sure helps to work on the to-do list ;)

Havanese, as in LITTLE dogs less than a foot tall? And you have to worry about them getting out of a fence? Yeah, run a hot wire 1' off the ground, that dog won't try to climb the fence more than once ... unless it is a very stupid dog ;)

Congrats on the move!