Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Didn't get the structure up but did remember to put some frost cloths out. We have a sheet set that is ridiculously short and pops off the matress every time you sit on the bed, so that was repurposed as more frost cloths. I think it worked, got the avocadoes, guavas, mangos, and banana covered last night. It was still only 32 this morning so I left the cloths on, hopefully that is fine. I need to check the updated weather for the rest of this week.

Got really angry at hubby and dog last night. He left the dogs in the house for over an hour while he was pouring the concrete for the gate post but didn't confine them to the laundry room; I wasn't home yet as he gets off work around 3-3:30. The puppy decided to rip up any paperwork she could get her paws on. We talked after I blew up at him and I think we are now on the same page again about not trusting the puppy unsupervised. I don't think she ripped up any bills or tax documents, but she ripped up some of the information I wanted to keep on file regarding her shots and vet visit.
Good luck with the puppy :love ...our almost 7 month standard poodle is going through the TASMANIAN DEVIL stage, you would think he would be entertained by the other three dogs, nope...he has to get into anything soft and tear it up, drag it over to where I am and show me "his work of art "....gosh how I love that boy 😂

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
So. Much. Wind. :th

It didn't get down to freezing last night, which was great because it was so windy the frost cloths blew off the plants.

The Harbor Freight carport for the rabbits is thin tube steel, one side of the roof tarp has been catching water each time it rains and pooled enough last night to cause the pipe to bend. Pushed that back into shape, sorta, and pushed the water off and got a bunch of it on me. At least I was wearing my rain boots. I had to put a tarp on one end of the cage rows because the whole structure was being shifted by the wind and rain was hitting the ones on the end. Need to drive some t posts to attach the legs so it can't wander. I hope the rabbits don't eat this tarp as quickly as the last one.

This morning the ridgepole was out on one end, thankfully causing the rain water to flow away from the rabbits. Luckily I saw it before hubby left for work, so he was able to put it back together. I worked on fixing the roof tarp and pushed all the pooled water off and ended up with a face full of cold rainwater.

I really want my weather proof rabbit barn. :hit

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've used those tarp carports also. A lot! They typically have so much space between the "rafters" that water (and snow) pools and bellies out. One thing I did that helped with that issue was to stretch rope between ridgepole and whatever you call the horizontal pipe at the top of the wall, in a zigzag pattern. I made my zigs fairly close together so it was more supportive. It helped shed rain a lot better, but I still removed snow daily. When it rained I pushed the water up and off from the inside. Tedious, but I really despise dealing with collapsed buildings more than the daily pain of staying ahead of it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Harbor Freight carport for the rabbits is thin tube steel, one side of the roof tarp has been catching water each time it rains and pooled enough last night to cause the pipe to bend. Pushed that back into shape, sorta, and pushed the water off and got a bunch of it on me.
Thin tube for sure. The wind bent one of mine right where it inserts in the 'top plate' fitting. I took it out and bent it back straight. It bent again as did the one on the opposite side. I added short angle braces to keep it from leaning in the wind, the pipes bent where they were connected. As you can see I've added 2x4 supports and the pipe on the left has totally broken and isn't even inserted in the fitting any more.

DSCN2208.JPG

Several other pieces have bent and cracked as well. Gorilla tape to the rescue for this winter. Sadly you can not buy replacement parts. I'll see if I can insert some home made dowels to "repair" the bent and broken parts in the spring.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carport seems to be holding up ok now. Still getting water pooling in that same area. This carport is new too, I bought a new one when we moved the rabbits as the old one's tarp was starting to fail. Bunnies are skittish but some are allowing me to pet them. I think the older set might be getting close to weaning age. I need to update the info plates on the cages to clarify when they should wean and when to rebreed the does.

Plants seem to have made it through the frost time with minimal damage. The tips of one of the guavas looks odd, but I don't know if it will lose them. I'm starting to see tiny buds starting on most of the bare root/seedlings I ordered from the nursery. I'm glad they are alive. I need to follow up with the second nursery, I haven't received my elderberry cuttings yet.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hubby was on call yesterday instead of out working as most of the jobs they are working now are outdoor. He installed the can lights in the two spare bedrooms and the den. They are 4000k 4" lights, he put 4 in each bedroom and they are so bright! I think he used 6" ones for the den. It's crazy the light difference between the den and the living room, I can't wait till the living room gets upgraded. He did leave a mess though, electricians never clean up after themselves unless it's required... So there's bits of drywall and various trash all over the floors. :(

Latest posts