Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
House still not fixed yet. Hubby bought some lumber and set up the saw in the front room. He cut out some of the ruined wood. Now the wall (non-load bearing) is very wobbly and there's a giant hole in the floor. Exactly what is needed with two cats and two dogs. Argh.

I'm hoping he can get more of it installed today. We have been putting the puppy playpen around the hole during the day to keep the cats out and the dogs are outside. At night, we have the dogs in the playpen and just have to keep shooing the cats away.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The plywood siding below the window looks mildewy/rotted too. Dunno how we are going to replace that as the vinyl siding is probably attached to it. Grr.

Hubby is probably going to order some termite bait stuff to put around the house.

Really wishing there was more time in the day and more motivation after a full day at work to get more done around the house. I need to start seeds, repot plants, plant bulbs, clean quail cages, clean rabbit cages, weigh rabbits, etc. Still don't have the raised beds installed.

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The plywood siding below the window looks mildewy/rotted too. Dunno how we are going to replace that as the vinyl siding is probably attached to it. Grr.

Hubby is probably going to order some termite bait stuff to put around the house.

Really wishing there was more time in the day and more motivation after a full day at work to get more done around the house. I need to start seeds, repot plants, plant bulbs, clean quail cages, clean rabbit cages, weigh rabbits, etc. Still don't have the raised beds installed.
I work full time too, i get the struggle, especially this time of year it seems like there's 1000 things to do and not near enough time/daylight in the day. You're doing great! one step at time. I try and compartmentalize what needs to be done otherwise I find myself running from one project to the next not really accomplishing much. I needed to get stuff in the garden and seedlings started this past weekend so I just focused on that and chose a day to tend to the million other things on my list.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I work full time too, i get the struggle, especially this time of year it seems like there's 1000 things to do and not near enough time/daylight in the day. You're doing great! one step at time. I try and compartmentalize what needs to be done otherwise I find myself running from one project to the next not really accomplishing much. I needed to get stuff in the garden and seedlings started this past weekend so I just focused on that and chose a day to tend to the million other things on my list.
We made a whiteboard list. It helps some, but we both just get wiped after work sometimes. We are trying to get into a better schedule. I have been having trouble getting up and to work on time, so started changing when I go to bed this week and it's making a difference.

Figuring out which things can multitask too helps. I got several loads of laundry washed and dried (not folded tho lol) last night as I just tried to stay on top of the machine cycles.

Tonight's goals: get caught up on dishes, clean off kitchen countertops, and repot the artichoke plants we bought on Saturday.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Neighbor texted today, apparently someone was snooping around our house and then scurried off suddenly. Really wishing hubby would get the gate finished and cameras installed. They were on foot, so not sure why they would be at our place, we are the last house on the road.
Hubby called our neighbor to the south, apparently it was her looking for her dog. I think we need to walk the fence line and figure out how her dog is getting over to our place. Glad it was a false alarm.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad it was a false alarm too. You don't need people snooping around. Glad it was your neighbor and not some nefarious creep.

You have a lot on your plate right now. Just do things like you would do if you were eating an elephant--one bite at a time.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, got caught up on dishes and folded all the clean laundry last night, started another load. Hubby installed several 2x4s and a 4x4 in the gaping hole in the floor. The load bearing wall has apparently sunken an inch or two from level, so he needs to jack it up and make sure it can't sink more. My brother is supposed to be coming over tonight to assist. The bottom plate on that wall is completely rotted/termited away, which probably is why it sunk. Hubby has to prop it up, chip out the rest of the bad spots and install a new bottom plate. Fun times.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brother might not be able to come tonight, maybe tomorrow? Might work better as no one has work on Saturday. Going to try to focus on the plants tonight, they need repotting or they are going to get root bound or die or something. I have canna bulbs I need to plant as well, I don't know where I'm going to put them but I think I need to pick a spot and move them again later. I also have strawberry and asparagus roots I bought that I've been ignoring, I have great plans but always underestimate how much time I need. Someday I'll be better.