Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son cut teeth early and fast! Had a mouthful in no time.....born with a headful of hair. Then my daughter...born bald and stayed that way for a long time, teeth slower, too. 🙄

Happy to say, both have hair and teeth now! 🤣. Just wait until he's walking!! FUN 🤗

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, he has had very fine hair since the beginning, it's just finally starting to get thicker. He looked bald for a long while.

He didn't have a good night last night, was up screaming and couldn't be consoled. I finally tried the gum numbing gel, then a dose of Tylenol. Slept the whole night after that. Happy baby again this morning.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of quail chicks out, can't see into the separating container so no number until I pull them. 6 chicken chicks out, only 1 is leghorn. If this hatch doesn't do well I might have to do another one and only have the one type, no silkies or quail. There over 2 dozen leghorn eggs, I need babies to grow out.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
KIMG3276.JPG
KIMG3287.JPG
KIMG3288.JPG
KIMG3286.JPG

Like my lamp height adjuster? I thought it was pretty clever and outside the box.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hatch is done. The last-out silky had a pot belly and a small amount of difficulty walking. I left it in the incubator an extra almost day and it seemed to be normal after that. I can't tell which one it was in the brooder anymore.

The last out leghorn project chick wasn't as strong. It was still absorbing veins when I pulled the last couple of chicks. I left it in the incubator with potbelly silky and by the time the silky was looking ok the leghorn had finally busted out. It was day 23 by then. It was a little curled and kept pushing too hard with it's legs so kept flopping over to it's back. I tried giving it some physical therapy but it passed while I was at work.

There are 9 quail chicks, and over 20 chicken chicks. It's like a giant puddle of chick floof in the brooder. The quail chicks are in a separate brooder.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Munchkin is getting better at eating pureed food, he slurped down the entire store bought pouch the other day. I like the pouches as it makes it easier to get it in his mouth with smaller mess, but when he grabs it and squeezes it makes a huge mess. Darn kid. At least he's eating.

We are trying to cut back on milk and increase solid food. He has also tried chewing on bread and hubby tried to give him a chunk of meat. He really really liked the piece of bacon we gave him mother's day morning. Pretty sure he didn't actually get a piece off it, but he sure enjoyed it. His second tooth is now visible out of his gums, and definitely feel it when he grabs your fingers to chew on them.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I took the 11 chicks from the first hatch to auction on Sunday. I couldn't stick around so waiting for the check in the mail to see how they did. I was very tempted by the little bunnies that looked chocolate colored, but I highly doubt they were Rex so I was good and didn't try to stay and bid.

I joined two rabbit groups on FB, so I'm hoping that can help me get a new buck. Hubby has been making progress with moving rocks and dirt where I want the bunny barn, so I'm hoping we can get it leveled and pour a foundation soon. It's going to get hot in no time. If we can't get the barn going I will have to get the ice blocks frozen and the misters set back up.

Garden is doing ok. I bought some bamboo stakes and used some yarn to straighten up most of my avocados I grew from seed. They are much happier now. They will probably be happier still when I give them some more rabbit manure tomorrow.