Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier if they contacted owners of abutting properties that someone has requested a permit? Maybe it isn't a problem often enough. Still I think the neighbors should be notified. Of course it is no different here, you (maybe) see a permit posted, up to you to notice it and find out what is being done.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, but we are talking about California and more specifically Los Angeles. Bureaucrats.

When we were doing some permitted work on the house after the earthquake, we had 3 different inspectors come out to sign off the final inspection. Why 3? Because the 1st one said we had to do something differently on the electric. We changed it to what he wanted. The 2nd guy wanted us to change it again but differently. Ok did that. The 3rd guy wanted it put back the way DH originally had it installed! DH said he would do that if the 3rd guy would come out to inspect after it was done since each inspector made us change things. The 3rd inspector said to request him personally and he would come out. It took 4 visits by the building inspector to get it signed off the way it had been installed the first time!

There is a reason why people don't like to get permits. :he

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Job creation? I have no idea why drywall would need to be inspected prior to taping. Plumbing I can understand, electrical I can understand. Some things are safety related. Not drywall.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
New installation is to screw in drywall instead of nailing it up. Nails can pop out. The inspector has to inspect to make sure it is screwed up properly before the tape hides everything. I don't know why they can't just say to leave several screw heads unmudded to make sure they used screws but . . . . :hu

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
People actually STILL use nails??? I used screws when I did the house over 30 years ago!!!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Drywall with a nail gun?? :th What kind of holes does THAT make in the drywall?? Wouldn't be surprised if that stuff gets loose over time.

Still, since when does the government care about quality? Buyer beware and all that. I thought they were only concerned with houses not burning, maybe taking their neighbors' houses with them, and having the fire department making runs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too much government overreach. They need to round up all the inspectors and plop them down in mobile home factories. I’m on my second double wide, you’d think I’d learn…… NOPE! If you want a lesson on screwball stuff, buy a mobile home. Those imitation homes have gotten pricy! Astounding!

Sez the Doublewide Diva!!