Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhh!!!! Baby bunnies on the wire!!! She wasn't supposed to be pregnant!! Parsley had 7 kits, 5 are dead and the last 2 look ok but the white one looks like the tail is missing and face is scratched. Had to scramble for stuff for a nest, we were out of hay but I scrounged up a few handfuls and picked up the few pieces of fur Parsley pulled to make a nest. I gave her two comfrey leaves and some oats. An hour later and the kits are still alive, I'm hoping she takes care of them and pulls a bit more fur.

KIMG5266.JPG
KIMG5268.JPG
KIMG5269.JPG
KIMG5273.JPG

The dad has to be one of her sons from the prior litter. Clearly I waited a bit long to take them out. Now I'm concerned there are more does who could be pregnant. I was holding off on breeding till fall because of the heat, guess I ended up with a litter anyway.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
On a happy note, I moved an iris and tried to move a fig from the old garden to the new garden, and discovered the iris had a tag with a name! The fig also had a faded tag, but the part still legible I remember what it was so I can make new tags for both. The fig had grown through the pot so will need some shovel work to get it out and moved to a bigger pot. Right now I'm trying to get all the figs into fabric pots so they can get a bit bigger but still be contained until I figure out where the fig orchard is going.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
New garden fence is still not done. Hard to get two person jobs done when one person is pregnant and there's an active toddler running around requiring supervision.

The deer attacked the potted plants on the patio, the mulberry was trimmed and they ate the entire top off the loquat I babied all winter. It's a stick now. Not sure if it'll come back, but I'm going to keep watering it and hope for the best.

I got my new banana plants potted up and they look like they are starting to grow now. They have a chicken wire cage completely around them. The baby loquats from the garden have a mesh trash can over them, there's two in the pot and they need to be separated, fertilized, and protected. The smaller one can still use the trash can for now but the bigger one is already pressing against the top.

The tomatoes and peppers that got potted up two weeks ago are mostly looking great, once the new garden fence is done they will go into the ground. There's a bunch of extra tomatoes I'm going to give away. Only one tomatillo made it and it's pretty small. Might buy a started one. I'd like to make tomatillo salsa this year.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are at 26 weeks now, this coming week I have a Dr appointment with the glucose test, not looking forward to that. I did fine last pregnancy so I think it'll probably be ok this time too. I feel like I'm eating less junk food overall, at least since last November. COVID messed up my taste buds for quite a while and peanut m&Ms just didn't taste right. Plus I'm trying to model better eating habits for the munchkin.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
DEER!!! Destruction machinery has nothing on deer! All that work and care, eaten to nothing in a night! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Better eating habits are good. Raising a garden will sure help with that.
I really want to try to can things and grow a lot of our own food. My husband eats a lot and with two boys I know they are going to eat a lot.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and try to water bath something tonight. We are going to the store so maybe I'll get a bunch of bananas. I talked about the recipe for monkey butter and a lot of my family were interested. I need to see if I can make it without coconut, or at least one batch without coconut since half the family doesn't like coconut. I think there's a recipe for banana jam too.

Latest posts