Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
well I started reading this and was so tickled for you to be able to get on with your dreams and ended up hating what that guy is trying to do. what a jerk. I really hope that it all works out and you are able to get the Kentucky place. I love the beauty of that state. we use to travel thru on our way back and forth from ark to w.va and I always was amazed at how green everything is. when you experience august in Arkansas green grass in the summer is a good thing. will send up little prayers that all works out for you.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, having been raised in New England, I really do miss the 4 seasons and green summers. My favorite season is the fall. Love the colors and the warm days/cool nights... I know it's a sign that it's all coming to and end :hit But it's still my favorite. The other thing I miss about New England is the rugged coast and the ocean waves crashing against it, fresh seafood, especially lobster and steamed clams... I DON'T miss the politics, high taxes, high cost of living, crowds, etc. ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know where to start Joe, I was going to ask a question about the KY property, then got to the part about the buyer's RE friend. :th

It sounded so good on the handshake. He already agreed to the price with no inspection, no appraisal. Why is he having a RE agent writing up the contract instead of a lawyer? Other than maybe the person is doing it for free? You pay a RE agent to find a buyer/seller and be the intermediary for all properties visited/potential buyers brought in for a percentage of the sale price, you still pay a lawyer to do the final contract work (at least as I've always seen it done).

I hope he backs down to his original agreement, we can all assume that you priced the house knowing whatever maintenance needs to be done in the next year or so. If it got a new roof 5 years ago, price is higher, if it was 25 years ago, price is lower.

OK, I'll ask about the KY property. Do you know when the picture was taken and can you find it on Google Earth? GE has a "historical" feature that shows images over time. Some might be fuzzy or just bad, but it would be nice to see if you can find one in the summer AND the spring. I ask because it looks like spring, some light green on some trees, green ponds. I have one, it has already been growing slimey algae for the last 2 weeks even though the maples have not yet budded out let alone leafed out. The brown areas might be dry in the spring and devoid of living trees because they are wetlands in the summer? I have a wetland area that looks similar in the spring in aerial photos. My concern is that a lot of the acreage might be "seasonal use" and seasonal doesn't mean summer. It might be helpful if you can get a topo overlay to see if those areas are low compared to the "grassy" areas.

NOT trying to be a downer here! I know how hard it is to find the right property.

Best of luck with both properties!!!!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know where to start Joe, I was going to ask a question about the KY property, then got to the part about the buyer's RE friend. :th

It sounded so good on the handshake. He already agreed to the price with no inspection, no appraisal. Why is he having a RE agent writing up the contract instead of a lawyer? Other than maybe the person is doing it for free? You pay a RE agent to find a buyer/seller and be the intermediary for all properties visited/potential buyers brought in for a percentage of the sale price, you still pay a lawyer to do the final contract work (at least as I've always seen it done).

I hope he backs down to his original agreement, we can all assume that you priced the house knowing whatever maintenance needs to be done in the next year or so. If it got a new roof 5 years ago, price is higher, if it was 25 years ago, price is lower.

OK, I'll ask about the KY property. Do you know when the picture was taken and can you find it on Google Earth? GE has a "historical" feature that shows images over time. Some might be fuzzy or just bad, but it would be nice to see if you can find one in the summer AND the spring. I ask because it looks like spring, some light green on some trees, green ponds. I have one, it has already been growing slimey algae for the last 2 weeks even though the maples have not yet budded out let alone leafed out. The brown areas might be dry in the spring and devoid of living trees because they are wetlands in the summer? I have a wetland area that looks similar in the spring in aerial photos. My concern is that a lot of the acreage might be "seasonal use" and seasonal doesn't mean summer. It might be helpful if you can get a topo overlay to see if those areas are low compared to the "grassy" areas.

NOT trying to be a downer here! I know how hard it is to find the right property.

Best of luck with both properties!!!!

Some time the county will have tax information on their website, and a track can have different parts classified differently for a different tax value if it's wetland.

Of course, if some of it is wet, you could still go back there and smoke you one of those big KY Whitetail Bucks.
:thumbsup

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. He has a RE friend that's doing the contract for him for free... After all the BS he and his RE friend threw at me, I went back to the other gal and told her if she wants the place, If she can get me a contract and earnest by this weekend, it's all hers. She was pretty thrilled and said she'd let me know before the end of the week. Even though I'll make a little less, she's "honest/honorable" and if she can get her trust money from her aunt, it'll be a done deal. I told her I'd be willing to close anytime and vacate by end of June. I've since received a voicemail from the RE stating he has the contract ready. OK, so he was supposed to Email it to me and though I gave him my Email address, I still haven't received it. The gutters are fine, I just finished cleaning them all out. The roof is ~7 years old/30 year shingles. Yes, they are a bit worn... 7 years worth, but they have a good 10-15 years left easily. The whole thing was/is a welch on the verbal agreement we had to try and get the price lower and less free rent time to me.

Quite honestly, I don't want to deal with a person like that. If this place were to be listed w/a realtor, it would be in the 240-245K range. There's one other place in this/my area that's on the market right now for 270K, no garage (I have a 2 car) larger manufactured home @ ~2080 to my 1486 square feet, and smaller lot size.

I've seen pics of the desired property in all seasons except winter. It will fill all my requirements with ease :thumbsup They had horses in the smaller fenced area down by the road, so I know that area will need to be re-seeded. The property is surrounded by hay fields, so I'm not too concerned about the ability of it to grow hay/grass for farm animals. I'll be making several pastures to rotate the animals through, and since it will be primarily goats/sheep, I'll include wooded areas in some of the pastures. The wooded areas include hardwoods as well as areas/copses of conifers.

Thanks OFA. The length of the property is actually along the top of a ridge with the southern boundary being the drainage/creek/bottom running west and down. I'm sure there are a lot of nice deer just waiting to fill my freezer ;) Though the annual bag limit in that county is 4+ only one can be a buck and it must be a big one (min 13" spread). I'm OK with that :D

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just reading through! Wow! This is exciting!
Kentucky has some beautiful land! I love the seasons as well and honestly I LOVE THE HILLS! I lived in a region that was dry, hot, and flat... hated it. So glad when we ended up where we are now.
Now- to just get off the road ;)

I was laughing at your post about the storms/hail and Mel :lol:
It reminded me of when you first got him and thought he was deaf because he doesn't react to everything. :lol::lol::lol:

We had a pop up storm today and all the dogs hang out where they are. Sometimes I wish they would go under shelter. Dopey dogs. :rolleyes:

Kentucky would be great but if you aren't retired there are no jobs... so a no go for us. :( My son wants to buy land in Kentucky.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sending Good Thoughts your way and hope things work out for you. We originally left the deer alone until they decided my planting fruit trees was just to feed them. The herd is considerably smaller now than 3 years ago.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. He has a RE friend that's doing the contract for him for free... After all the BS he and his RE friend threw at me, I went back to the other gal and told her if she wants the place, If she can get me a contract and earnest by this weekend, it's all hers. She was pretty thrilled and said she'd let me know before the end of the week. Even though I'll make a little less, she's "honest/honorable" and if she can get her trust money from her aunt, it'll be a done deal. I told her I'd be willing to close anytime and vacate by end of June. I've since received a voicemail from the RE stating he has the contract ready. OK, so he was supposed to Email it to me and though I gave him my Email address, I still haven't received it. The gutters are fine, I just finished cleaning them all out. The roof is ~7 years old/30 year shingles. Yes, they are a bit worn... 7 years worth, but they have a good 10-15 years left easily. The whole thing was/is a welch on the verbal agreement we had to try and get the price lower and less free rent time to me.

Quite honestly, I don't want to deal with a person like that. If this place were to be listed w/a realtor, it would be in the 240-245K range. There's one other place in this/my area that's on the market right now for 270K, no garage (I have a 2 car) larger manufactured home @ ~2080 to my 1486 square feet, and smaller lot size.

I've seen pics of the desired property in all seasons except winter. It will fill all my requirements with ease :thumbsup They had horses in the smaller fenced area down by the road, so I know that area will need to be re-seeded. The property is surrounded by hay fields, so I'm not too concerned about the ability of it to grow hay/grass for farm animals. I'll be making several pastures to rotate the animals through, and since it will be primarily goats/sheep, I'll include wooded areas in some of the pastures. The wooded areas include hardwoods as well as areas/copses of conifers.

Thanks OFA. The length of the property is actually along the top of a ridge with the southern boundary being the drainage/creek/bottom running west and down. I'm sure there are a lot of nice deer just waiting to fill my freezer ;) Though the annual bag limit in that county is 4+ only one can be a buck and it must be a big one (min 13" spread). I'm OK with that :D
13" isn't big :)

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck LOL I know... just wanted to indicate that spikes or 2-3 pointers are not allowed. Has to be a "mature" buck, at least 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.