Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Have to get the plants first, then give them a few years to grow. They like acid soil and with all the oaks and juniper/pine/cedar I have around here, they should be happy and productive.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a great idea @Devonviolet ! I like that and PVC makes for some good building material. :)

Thanks for the input @Beekissed Trip is really scared of loud noises.

We go to a U-Pick blueberry farm and there are plenty of blueberries. Plenty for everyone, so I guess the trick is to plant lots of blueberries! We didn't pick many this year, the freezer was full of pork@

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made one like that over the 3 currant and 1 gooseberry bush this spring. Why? Because I already had the 10' 1" PVC. We'll see how it holds up. PVC will degrade in the sun. I threaded the pipe through the netting, yeah that was fun.

A couple of years ago my Dad and I made a covering for the 3 blueberry bushes (*) using old plastic step in posts and some scrap ~5/4 x 5/4 wood for a horizontal top. Covered it with bird netting. Worked OK for 2 years, then last winter the whole thing collapsed when the plastic posts broke under the weight of the snow on the netting. I put in T-posts and four 16' cattle panels this year. It is on a slope so the tops of the hoops don't line up all nice. Haven't got it covered yet. Not sure if I want to mess with the bird netting or cover it with chicken wire. I'm thinking that the pollinators could get in more easily through chicken wire. With bird netting, I might have to uncover in the spring?? The netting is a PITA to work with and is very weak. I put some up vertically (using zip ties) to keep the chickens out of the garden and the wind ripped it down. I've replaced all that with chicken wire which, incidentally, is more visible to the birds and they don't get caught in it.

* they were here when we bought the place in Nov '11. They really don't do much, very small plants. Maybe they are dwarfs or something.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes PVC does, but it takes time for that to happen....and the replacement cost is "Astronomical", that is certainly worth some consideration.....:lol::gig
@Bruce if ya use duct tape and make sleeves for the PVC there isn't any threadding of the net needed.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The zip ties are what did in the bird netting. As much as the bird netting is "all holes", having a skinny piece of plastic fixed to objects about 10' apart doesn't work well when the wind howls. It is amazing how much surface area all those little "strings" add up to. Maybe you have sturdier netting down in TX?

if ya use duct tape and make sleeves for the PVC there isn't any threading of the net needed.....:)
I suppose that could work though I'm not quite sure how this tube stays stuck to the netting. Would need a big area of NO wind to get the tubes stuck on. And good eyes, I about go blind trying to follow a straight line on that netting.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, spent the afternoon mowing and pounding T-posts. Man am I tired. Still a few more posts to go to finish the outline. Hope to knock those out tomorrow. After that I'll ge to work on the "H" and diagonal bracing, then it will be time to stretch fence. Not too far off I guess. Then hang gates and I can let the goats out. Stopped pounding posts right about 7pm which is when nightly goat chores take place. After that, I showered and then didn't feel like making dinner so went to Chili's and had buffalo wings and a 2 item dinner. I had 1/2 rack of ribs and chicken tenders. Took an aleve and muscle relaxer before I left for dinner and had a double screwdriver w/dinner. Feeling a bit woozy right now so finishing this and I'm off to bed.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, if ya are protecting the berries from birds, then it doesn't have to be up yr round, just when the berries are on the canes....so, if ya put 4....1 1/2" PVC in the ground, however deep, will allow a 3/4" pipe to slide into the larger PVC.....when ya take down the 4 poles be sure to put caps on the pcs in the ground......you can use a Tjoint and put support braces between the legs and as an anchorpoint for the duct tape....ya wrap the tape from pvc to the net....overlap the 2 ends on opposite sides of the net and press them together around the netting and to the sticky side of opposite end. Think of it as a dining fly and fold the 2leg-ends together and roll to other end a bungee strap and it is ready for next yr....unless there is damage.....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't blame ya one bit, LS....after a day like that and the meal ta boot I'd be looking for that pillow to talk to, also....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.