Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Later on, when you have chickens, the gnats can get real bad. To give them relief, spray the chickens on the roost at night with vanilla. It repels the gnats. I even hung the vanilla scented auto air fresheners shaped like little Christmas trees in the coop.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been sporadic rainfall here since about dusk yesterday. First rainfall in about a month. My cattle are acting nervous...bad memories?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Bad memories indeed... Hard to believe it's already been over a month since Harvey...

Well, Mel let me know at 4am that the sprinkles had started. He wanted in. Went back to bed and slept till ~ 9am. That was nice. Went and did milking and goat chores in the 90% humidity, no rain. Checked the gauge and there wasn't anything in it but we did get enough to make small puddles on the tarp covering the hay. Since then, we've had some thunder and some pretty decent rain. Not going to amount to much inches wise, but it did come down for a bit and left puddles from run off. Looking at the radar it appears there may be a chance for more later as the moisture comes up from the S/SE.

Had no idea just how many gnats I had inside. There are 20-30+ in several of the jars and I'm STILL seeing them flying around. It's an infestation I tell ya :rant & the house is not opened up either... They have to be breeding in here someplace... :(

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got any bananas or bad potatoes anywhere? I once lost a potato under the sink.... missed the trash can I guess and it got really funky and nasty and had gnats everywhere! ugh

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dog pound -- you know, they just want someone to love on them. They hope to find a new & loving home. Until then, they would really, really like you to visit more often.

Gnats...can get in places as small as the thickness of a piece of paper. Check any potatoes, onions, fruit, etc. for ripeness. They love that stuff...like fruit flies. Never heard of vanilla used but I know peppermint they dislike.

Here in VA this AM it was 58 degrees & dew so heavy it looked like it had rained. Needed boots to go feed. Steam coming off of water in tanks & ponds I passed on way to work. Low 80s yesterday, humidity, then night cooling. My grass is still growing!!!

Yep -- money can make things easier to manage. Like GB, I have had plenty and have had none. Plenty was more fun! :rolleyes: But I am thankful to know how to survive with less. Agree with Pastor Dave, everything has it's season. A horse can be slower but more fun than a car...IMO. Just yesterday the danged CL had a lovely, older Arab mare for a mere $300. I am soooo tempted. Then there is more hay and feed and farrier...so, not doing. A decent used bike is less if I needed transport beyond my trucks & car.

OH -- so far as the hay -- I can tell you. They will still waste about the same amount, it will just cost you less. :lol: Go count gnats.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, during this time of the year here in the south....it is best to look before ya drink, if drink is outside, cause Yellow jackets are prone to be there....especially if there is sugar in that drink. I much rather have a gnat in my mouth, than a yellow jacket.....I've experienced both and 1 is definitely Worse than the other....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts