Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow, Nate's a fast moving storm. Good and bad in that. Hope all dealing with it come through OK. Guess it's having the worst effects over in the Carolinas. Prob gonna flow up into VA next then the rest of the east coast. No direct impact here, but tomorrow is supposed to be low 90s followed by 2 days in the mid 70s and night temps down into the upper 40's & lower 50s! :weee:clapLove sleeping with the window above my head opened. Did so last night and it's the best sleep I've had in months. Had to turn the AC back on this afternoon. Upper 80's right now outside and blazing sun. Gotta stay chill while watching football :) some pretty good games already today.

Have been thinking about going out for dinner... was thinking/considering either Chinese buffet or Chili's for hot wings and BBQ baby back ribs, but Dallas is playing so places with TV's and alcohol are probably pretty busy... or maybe Domino's take out pizza (Lrg 3 topping for $7.99), but then pizza is popular with game day crowds as well...

Quite a disparity, I know... But in the end, I realized I'd taken a pkg of Brats out of the freezer, so when I'm done here, I'll go start the grill and do grilled brats for dinner. Love them grilled sausages :drool yum.

So tomorrow I''m planning to ride the mower then when that cooler air hits, it's back onto fencing.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are getting some needed rain here in VA....not windy or heavy but a really nice rain. Stop & start. It's 82 & 100% humidity! But I worked, so inside.

Haven't watched weather in past 12 hrs, so not sure this is from Nate, may just be a front cruzin thru. It's good, whatever it is. Last news I heard they said probably Mon for Nate rain. :idunno If it's like today's I'm good with it. Puts the kabatch on some outside things but, there's later in week. :caf

Hope you are enjoying your games.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeh, they were projecting abput 1.5" here, but it kept moving east and our 40-60% chance of rain amounted to a couple of sprinkles that didn't even wet the goat's bkts for me to wipe out.....guess I'll have to get the hose and dampen their back pen so I can spread some seed out. Temps are suppose to range in the 80s for the next wk or so...88° here now.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, Nate's a fast moving storm.
Must be! We had rain this morning, then it got nice and sunny and 72° so we opened windows. Supposed to get 1.25" of rain tomorrow between 8 AM and 8 PM. Near 100% chance during much of that time. I ASSUME that is coming from our buddy Nate.

But in the end, I realized I'd taken a pkg of Brats out of the freezer, so when I'm done here, I'll go start the grill and do grilled brats for dinner. Love them grilled sausages :drool yum.
And it saves money to buy more fence ;)

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We paid just under $13 a bale last year for alfalfa at the Farm Center here so gladly paid $4.50 a bale this year to pick it up in the field.
I wish we had someone locally that did enough alfalfa to sell it for $4.5. It's uncommon enough that people want 12 bucks for it. We can get it hauled in from easter Washington for around $6 for the 65lbs bales but we would have to take 2 tons. It would take us years to go through that much. For now we are sticking to pellets and a grass mix that we pick up out of the field for $3.50. Next year it will be out of our field

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Must be you don't have too many hay burners ;) But I'm like you, the 2 alpacas only eat about 25 small squares a year. 2 tons would get REAL stale.

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If we keep the goats and two llamas in the barn pasture they eat about a bale of hay a day. We are having to keep them close because they found a stretch of barbed wire fence they could get through by pushing their way through a blackberry bramble. It was 6’ deep on our side of the fence at the spot where they ate a hole to the fence line and about twice that on the neighbors side. It made a pretty funny looking goat sized tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts