Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
On another note, GB, what are you using for underground water supply pipe to your pasture and how deep have you buried it (figuring for cow hoof weight sinking down to it through mud)?

8-10" deep--maybe.
Code here (such as it is), says 18", but when they were piping my well to the house the county inspector laughed when we asked him how serious they were about that. "Man, NOBODY around here buries water lines 18" except commercial applications, not even myself"

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks GB. Did you use white PVC or the black rolled stuff?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks GB. Did you use white PVC or the black rolled stuff?
Both. Transitioned off the roll pipe to PVC above ground--they make some sharkbite type adapters to go to pvc.
I don't need the whole place piped for water...have lots of natural water on most of it. Just have a couple of 10ac pastures near the house that needed piped for fresh water.
Nothing to burying the rollpipe either. Cap one end, tie it good, up close to the back of a single moldboard plow behind a tractor, drop the 3 pt down and take off plowing. About half the soil falls back in behind the moldboard and you are pulling the rollpipe right thru loose dirt.
Probably won't work too well if you have rocks--I don't.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang Joe!!...ya sure gotta take care of yourself over there, hope things get better for ya and ya can get back to feeling normal again....course this weather doesn't help much. Our lines here are about 1' underground and have never had problems. If ya do use PVC as your up pipe, then cover it with the split pipe insulation and put 3-4" piece of schedule 40 or galvanized over it about 8-12" and the weed whacker won't tou h the up pipe at all.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man, Joe you gotta take better care of yourself! I was gonna tell you to stay hydrated when I found out you had the flu, but you said you were on an upswing with it, so figured you were. Kidneys, liver, and bladder no things to mess around with.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not a happy start to my new year. Saturday started coming down with flu. Honest to goodness flu, which I haven't dealt with in many decades. Spent the last 24-36 hours in bed. Thought about heading over to the VA ER, but didn't feel up to the drive and there's not much they can do for the flu once you've got it anyway. It has been accompanied by a bladder or UT infection. Life is fun. The kids left early, this morning, as there was no sense in them staying and maybe getting what I have. Was a good visit, but short.

So wishing everyone a very Happy new year, good health, prosperity, and happiness.

Sorry to hear Joe, I was right there with you. Dec 31st until Jan 3rd I had it too. My oldest boy started out with it 2 weeks ago, and we thought it just missed everyone else - nope, me, my other son, and the baby all had it over New Years. I'm still not 100%, but I don't feel like I'm going to die anymore. The baby never got over 101, but my sons and I hit 103F each. I still have a nasty cough that isn't dry and feel like I've busted all my ribs from the coughing. Not as bad as you, but I also didn't eat anything for days, yesterday was the first day I ate anything.
I hope you're feeling better today. This flu bug was no joke at all, and like you, first time I've caught the actual flu in many years.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I went back today and did another round of IV fluid and antibiotics. Kidneys are back square in the safe range (as I expected they would be). I'm sure there was damage done, but it shouldn't be significant. Though they are back to processing right, they are not back up to normal processing speed. Nor is my digestive tract. Just got settled after returning and completing daily chores. Dinner so far was ~1.5 cups of cantaloupe cubes with just a touch of sugar. I bought ready shredded salad making to have as well... maybe later. Just to tired to deal with right now. Anyway, wanted to give a quick update.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only having 1 kidney, I know abput those type problems and the best ya can do for them is cranberry juice....the straight cocktail type is best, but if it is mixed it is still better than other things....if ya just can't handle the cranberry taste....there are cranberry capsules in the vitamin section at WallyWorld. The juice works faster and better, at least 8oz per day while problems exist. I drink it everyday as maintaineance, but with only 1 a problem can progress quickly and become very serious...so, I err on the side of caution....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.