Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's always easy to 'claim' things. (like the 'grassfed' beef 'doesn't seem' to cause inflammation) claim.
Tumeric. I'm mostly ambivilent to it's properties and use. I do use it, as a spice/seasoning and quite a bit of it particularly in the meat rub I buy and make and in my chili recipe. With one exception, I do not take any kind of supplement, never have and never will, nor (with one exception) do I take any kind of pain medication. That exception is the 1 a day 81 mg aspirin as my sole blood thinner. The supplement that is the single exception is CoQ10 and it is by direction of my primary care physician tho I have serious doubts as to it's necessity or it's efficacy.

FDA has a designation for all things it considers a food or medicine. GRAS. Generally Accepted As Safe. Tumeric does have this designation as a spice and food additive, but FDA has been clear that it does not assign this designation to Tumeric as a health supplement. As a food additive for seasoning and flavor purposes it does give tumeric a GRAS designation but only to the limit of "up to 20mg/serving". (Pg 1629 of the paper linked to below)
20mg by the way= 0.00071oz or 0.004 teaspoons.
One supplement maker did request GRAS designation from FDA for Tumeric in it's supplement and FDA declined but simply said "We have no questions regarding Tumeric at this time" . Tumeric as a supplement ingredient is not on any readily accesible GRAS list.

There has not been (to my knowledge) a single accepted blind study upholding the claims of tumeric as any kind of health aid or preventative, much less a cure for anything. There have been many bogus 'studies' done and repeated publicly tho, the 1st being in 1937. Most by people with a financial incentive to laud tumeric's 'healing qualities'.

http://time.com/4633558/turmeric-curcumin-inflammation-spice/
The abstract of the study:
Curcumin is a constituent (up to ∼5%) of the traditional medicine known as turmeric. Interest in the therapeutic use of turmeric and the relative ease of isolation of curcuminoids has led to their extensive investigation. Curcumin has recently been classified as both a PAINS (pan-assay interference compounds) and an IMPS (invalid metabolic panaceas) candidate. The likely false activity of curcumin in vitro and in vivo has resulted in >120 clinical trials of curcuminoids against several diseases. No double-blinded, placebo controlled clinical trial of curcumin has been successful. This manuscript reviews the essential medicinal chemistry of curcumin and provides evidence that curcumin is an unstable, reactive, nonbioavailable compound and, therefore, a highly improbable lead. On the basis of this in-depth evaluation, potential new directions for research on curcuminoids are discussed.
The actual paper: (it is long..reference to the numeral 1 is tumeric, or more specifically, it's base compound curcumin.)

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/ipdf/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b00975

If you actually read thru this paper, you will find it is unbiased, neither supporting nor critical of Tumeric's use as a homeopathic supplement. It merely breaks down the chemical properties of the compounds and puts a brighter light on the studies that have been done, and actually explains their shortcomings and why they are at best incomplete and at worst misleading with not-nearly-enough basis in fact. It plainly states more real & independent study needs to be done to replace all the anecdotal claims that are out there.

Beginning on pg1629, the paper addresses the claims of tumeric/curcumin as a preventative or cure regarding 4 most commonly repeated claims. Dermatitis, colon cancer, Alzheimer and pancreatic cancer. The panacea claims go far beyond those 4 of course, as is usual with these type supplements.....and they always have going as far back as the traveling salesmen in horsedrawn buggies and wagons of the late 1800s. (not surprisingly, Tumeric is also claimed to be a cure for both hirsuteness and baldness all at the same time) :barnie:he What a deal.........

FDA has historically had a 'hands off' policy toward holistic medicine and 'natural' supplements but that is probably about to change.
FDA in the last 18 months has announced it will revisit it's mostly neutral stance on holistic or alternative medicine supplements following the illness of an infant that was using a 'homeopathic all natural' teething pain product. The general consensus is that FDA will soon require more stringent labeling on all questionable homeopathic panacea supplements including something to the effect of:
"This product has not been proven to have any significant health or medicinal benefit, value or qualities".

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, and especially to @Devonviolet as I know she normally uses her phone, and I know it took a vast amount of time/effort/bandwidth/etc. for her to post all that information. It's very nice to have such good friends... all of you! That being said, I must confess that I have experienced zero success with "holistic/natural" remedies... I know others who swear by it and espouse to the immediate improvements they've experienced, but I'm sorry to say I'm either a block of concrete, or just some sort of alien because I have never experienced anything of the sort. :duc:hide And I HAVE tried them! (some) They just have not worked for me.

I know what I have to do to "fix" my present problems, and apparently I am unwilling to go to the lengths the doctors wish me to go to to achieve the desired effects. Nothing I do is going to bring back my halcyon days of 30s and 40s. I'm kinda beyond that now. I need to completely change 60 years of dietary history and practice. I have to lose approximately 100 pounds (I've started on both, it's a humble start but a start none the less). And I need to get exercise/move despite it hurting when I try to do so. Kind of a chicken or the egg thing... need to lose weigh to exercise, but exercising will help eliminate the weight. Tough to do work with hands that are too painful to work. Can't hammer if you can't grip/hold onto the hammer. :hu Tough to move around when your knees and ankles won't really function to support you. :hu So you do the best you can.

I'm hoping and expecting that this too shall pass, as it has in the past. Not sure how long this episode will take to go away, but they always have in the past, with time. I'll try to stop boring you all with my personal health issues/problems. I can find other things to gripe and grumble about I'm sure. :)

Son and family are gone. Daughter leaves next Tuesday. Goats and dogs are doing well. Have had rain storms the past several days so not as dry, but of course that means mowing is soon to be needed. Hope all are well and happy, enjoying their summer! I have 226 alerts showing, and insufficient time at the moment to go back through from where I left off. Hope to be able to catch back up soon. I did see that @CntryBoy777 has been issued eviction and hope you can find a new place Fred. Saw the recommendation that your lawyer file to prevent your sister from doing anything to/with the property until case is settled... very wise move. Hope you end up getting something out of it aside from hard feelings.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are sure hoping so too, Joe!!.....we are suppose to sign lease papers tomorrow on a place we found....kinda in rough shape, but we can't be too picky....Gabbie is welcomed without any deposit and it is a fairly nice neighborhood with older people in it....the guy said that I could bring the goats if I wanted, but that would entail way too much work for such a short period of time that we have.....gonna make Gabbie an area with CPs and Tposts....the place is in bad need of some repairs and told the guy that I would help to work on it....he was shocked and said that we would work something out for the help.....thanks for the well wishes and sure hope that ya get some relief sooner rather than later. I'm calling the lawyer tomorrow to get some action going in the line of @greybeard 's advice....tho, I don't much see us coming back here, because we are being moved by a power much greater than humans possess and it is His will that we are committed to.....tho, I don't say that we will never, but for now and the next 6mnths we will not be.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't hammer if you can't grip/hold onto the hammer.
So true. I quit trying to split with a maul for the pain the shock caused in my hands. I don't nail much, I screw things together. Easier to take apart anyway. Still have to hold the drill but it doesn't need as much gripping.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A little after 4am. Just finished up reading 10 pages of alerts and am all caught up to the best of my ability. When I checked new posts, there were an additional 6 pages of posts and sorry, but I'm just burned out at the moment so marked everything as read. Hopefully I'll be back and able to keep up. Read through a lot of folks experiencing bad happenings and rough times. Lots of losses as well. Best wishes to those folks having difficult times.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, My daughter is still here... I Dropped her at DFW Delta curb side baggage check, we said our goodbyes and I headed back out of there. Got an audio alert to a text so figured I'd better pull over and stop to read it. Glad I did. Her connecting flight out of JFK had been cancelled and her entire trip had been re-booked to leave tomorrow morning at 11am. So, $50 in gas and 5 hours down the drain for today and we'll get to do it all again tomorrow! :wee:he Turned around and went back and picked her back up. Just got back from Chili's for dinner. After the driving in heat today, neither of us felt like cooking or leftovers. I'm beat. Gonna need that alarm clock thing tomorrow. Hope I remember how to work it.

Gonna have to get up early and do animal chores right at daybreak or just before. Need to be on the road from here by 7am at the latest. Gotta say I'm very unimpressed with Delta... I don't anticipate using them again any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.