Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I keep the bags inside the storage building, stacked horizontally on top of large 20 qt coolers (like the one I put the lamb in). No rodent issues at all. I take a bag at a time outside behind the bldg and dump it into a galvanized trash can with lid which is kept under the tarp with the hay bales.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This last batch of hay I bought got riddled with mold. I mean bad... Even down inside the bales between the flakes. The outsides were coated in gray fuzz/powder, and greens and blues/blacks that could fill a painter's pallet. I had to rip the bales apart and salvage what I could for the goats. The air was filled with a cloud of mold spores and I had to stay upwind. Just broke into the last bale (thankfully) and will need to get more later this week. I'm going to try and get the orchard/alfalfa mix again and I hope he has it. The goats really liked it, virtually no waste, and it didn't mold. I also think instead of keeping the hay out behind the bldg on pallets under a tarp, I'm gonna store it inside the bldg this time.

Yeah, thanks again Bay for turning me on to Martidale. I have high hopes for the feed I purchased and expect it will work great. I have enough to last me through the weekend of the Dumor. Should be arriving some time tomorrow on their truck. They said they'd call me. If it's late in the day I may have to wait till Friday to go get it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We even feed the pigs on the 14% all purpose pellets, then finish them on soured corn.

It is foggy and soggy this morning. It is so dewy and wet, the sun hits the droplets on the leaves and grass and they sparkle and glisten. Pretty, but as the sun climbs, it sure will be humid.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yeah... humid... in the hour I was out feeding and tending animals I was soaked. From the knees down from the dew and from the knees up from sweat. Just standing still I had a combo of sweat and condensation rolling down my face... Gotta give everything a few hours to dry out some. Ended up with wet socks too :( Time to buy a new pair of slip ons. These have holes and are falling apart.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks again Bay for turning me on to Martidale. I have high hopes for the feed I purchased and expect it will work great. I have enough to last me through the weekend of the Dumor. Should be arriving some time tomorrow on their truck. They said they'd call me. If it's late in the day I may have to wait till Friday to go get it.
It might be good to have some of the Dumor to mix with the new feed for a day or so...don't want any upset tummies from a sudden feed change...:)

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah... humid... in the hour I was out feeding and tending animals I was soaked. From the knees down from the dew and from the knees up from sweat. Just standing still I had a combo of sweat and condensation rolling down my face... Gotta give everything a few hours to dry out some. Ended up with wet socks too :( Time to buy a new pair of slip ons. These have holes and are falling apart.
So you were bathing in your own sweat:hide

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you were bathing in your own sweat:hide
New type of sweat pants??

Time to buy a new pair of slip ons. These have holes and are falling apart.
You don't have any gorilla tape? ;) Actually I need to break mine out. My old rubber winter boots have open cracks, get wet feet. Local farm store won't have replacements for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts