Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm an equal opportunity employer of stuff that works! I don't care if it was invented by a woman or a space alien... The star head screws are awesome. :thumbsup

I always preferred Phillips heads over straight slot as that is a huge "step up" IMO. I think the only thing better than the star head are the hex head screws (self tapping), but they can't be counter sunk very well/easily so are not flush.
shopping

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I actually prefer the square bits and screws--properly called a Robertson®. They are every bit (no pun intended) as good as a Torx®, but with the added advantage, that you can stick a Robertson® 3 1/2" long screw on the bit, tilt the bit and screw into any geometric plane--vertical..horizontal, (straight up, straight down, sideways) at any angle and if you pushed the square tapered bit into the screw head like you're supposed to ..............................the screw will not fall off the bit like a Torx® and Phillips will. The only way to get a Torx screw to stay on the bit when in a horizontal position is if you have a magnetized bit.
It IS easier to get a Torx bit into the screw and if you get the right screwpoint profile, they probably do drive in a little faster but as much overhead and horizontal work as I do, I still prefer the square head.
More on that:
http://wordsnwood.com/2016/torx-vs-robertson/
one to rule them all.jpg
squarepants.jpg

I think the first Torx or star bolts I ever ran across were on 80s GM seat belts, front brake calipers and rear bearing hubs. Strip one of those brake T-47s out, you may as well get your drill and easy outs ready and a good pencil torch.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
seem to only squat in toward the center
Joe, they are telling you where they want the hole for their outhouse!

You've turned to be like Mr. @Bruce and Mr. @greybeard -- hurting my feelings by telling the truth about me!
Ah gee STA, not intending to hurt your feelings!

but they can't be counter sunk very well/easily so are not flush.
I guess you could countersink with a properly sized spade bit.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So happy turkey day everyone. Hope all can find at least one thing to be thankful for today. We can all go back to bitching and kvetching tomorrow ;) My day has gotten off to a crappy start... literally. While feeding the goats this morning, Beauty came out but just stood there and wasn't interested in eating. So after a bit, I grabbed her collar and started leading her over to the pellet bowl when I notice a big puddle of brown on the ground and she has scours all over her anus area. :( She's not a real mess yet, her tail is still up, and she's still full bodied, so it must have started relatively recently. But it's obvious she's not feeling real well. She was perfectly fine last night at feeding time. When she squatted to pee, she let out quite a bit of gas as well. She did nibble/eat some hay when I put that out for them, and she was nibbling at the wood siding on the trailer.

Of course this has to happen on a holiday when vets are closed. Considered scooping up some of the diarrhea to bag and put in the fridge till tomorrow so I could take to a vet for analysis, but then I really don't want that in there with my entire left over thanksgiving meal... :sick So I guess she's gonna be on her own here today and I'll monitor her and see if she gets over this herself or if I'll need to seek vet help tomorrow. If I think of it I'll try to get some pics later today. None of the other goats has this problem/issue right now and I hope it stays that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.