Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *GOATS*

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
20kidsonhill said:
WE sell most of our stock at 10 weeks(breeding stock) to 4 months( butchering), we keep very few past that. Just a couple replacement does, maybe a new buckling that we purchased young, they are fed 2 lbs a day until I think they look like they are putting too much weight on, normally around 9 months of age and then I go down to 1 lb.

Our show whethere are normally around 6 months of age for the show, they are pretty much free-choice fed pelleted grain, very little hay. But they are also exercised, a lot at the end. We do have a little dairy in some of our goats, I can tell the higher boers will get over weight easier. The dairy have a tendency to put frame on faster. The judge will comment about how nice the frame is, but they always come up a little short in the muscling down in their legs.

We shoot for atleast 3% feed consumption of their body weight on up to 4% for animals that need to put weight on faster.

So a 50lb kid would need to eat between 1.5lb to 2lbs a day, or 4 1/2 cups to 6 cups of pelleted goat grower feed a day, to maintain a weight gain of near .5lbs a day.
20 kids- I find it interesting that we have the same goals, market meat stock and make a profit, yet we have very different approaches. I don't creep feed the kids and they take 6-8 months to get to market weight (60-80). I find that works out for me financially. When your kids gain weight that fast do you have trouble with the meat animals being "fatty"? My customers are pretty adamant they do not want any fat on the animal. With my low stocking rates feeding them longer doesn't cost me anything. It is only an issue when I carry a few over in the winter but I justify it by the fact that winter/early spring prices are so much higher it is worth it.

I can see how your approach would have the advantage of being able to breed back the does quicker. I will stick with mine for now but I would love to understand more about your approach from a financial perspective.
We offer all our doelings for sale, as either registered or commercial stock. I sell them off the farm at 10 weeks of age, At this point they have only been on feed for around 7 weeks, and are probably eating around a 1 1/2 lbs a day of grain for the last couple weeks. I feel they transition better to their new home if they are used to eating grain.
More than half our males/whethers born in a season are sold as fair animals for 4h/ffa meat shows. These animals have to be used to eating grain inorder to be ready for their new homes. Most of them will be picked up at 10 weeks of age. We wean at 8 weeks of age, so the show whethers(they could also be doelings) are ready to go to their new homes as soon as possible.

The left over animals, hopefully no more than 1/4 of what we started with) that aren't show quality or breeding stock quality are fed out on our farm until they reach around 70lbs. OUr goal is to have them out the door by 4 or 5 months of age. First off we have a very healthy coccidiosis population here in virginia in the valley. I pretty much have to treat for cocci, so feeding them medicated feed really helps with this. Secondly, we only have around 4.5 true acres of pasture and we are running 25 adult goats, plus then their off-spring, so we are a little tight on room anyway. OUr hay is fairly pricey, maybe you are getting a better deal on hay. OUr hay is $5 a 50lb bale of grass mix 2nd cutting hay and $5 for a small bale of alfalfa, maybe up to $7 a bale for alfalfa. The pelleted medicated feed is about double this, but I figure it is offering atleast twice the nutritional value of the hay, another words 1lb of pelleted feed would equal 2lbs of hay consumption. I am truely just guessing, never actually figured it out.

By selling the does as replacement does and whethers for the show I am able to ask as good a price or most the time higher for them at 10 weeks as I would get for them as 70lb to 80lb meat goats, no need to feed them out at all. Although several of them were already above 50lbs at 8 weeks coming off of mom. They wouldn't have had to much more growing to do. You figure the fair animals are the better goats. So I am left feeding out the lower end of the kids. If I have a few lower end kids that I get tired of feeding out, I just sell them lighter and be done with it. sometimes a 50lb kid will still bring really good money at the sale as long as they look healthy.

I haven't had any buyers complain about the fat on them. I would agree they probably are a little fatter. I had a gentlemen from india coming and butchering 4 to 6 a year, at a good price. He commented that he didn't like them too fat, but he seemed to think the meat tasted really good and when he had a party some of his friends commented how wonderful the goat tasted. This would have been a wonderful business arrangement with him, except he was making his moves on me(okay, stop laughing), and I had to tell him we wouldn't sell to him any longer, he was getting that inappropriate. He called me on and off for another two years trying to get me to sell him and his friends more goats, He probably would have purchased just about everything I could have produced. He had some great connections up in the Washingtion D.C. area. It was just getting weird and creeping me out. I said, "Stop laughting at me."

No one wants to pay anything for them buying them from the farm for butchering around here, except Mr. creepy that I mentioned, we have had much better luck at the stock yards with our left over kids, so it isn't like they can complain to us about the fat. Plus probably 2/3 of our goats have a little nubian in them and you could feed them all day and they don't get fat, they just keep putting on frame. Man those things can grow. We have some good competition at the stockyards, with a couple buyers taking loads up to new YOrk and lots of privit buyers as well. There they have to pay and don't complain when they go $1.50 to $2.00 a lb. yes they sell per head, I am going off of what I know they weigh.

feel free to ask any questions.

I apologize if this is too off subject for this thread.

Don't get me wrong, our taxes always show a lose, and we don't make a living from our goats. But I do expect the goats to pay for themselves, with the added benifits of tax breaks from the improved buildings, fencing, ectt....... Has it all been financially, profitable in the end? :idunno

Mossy Stone Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Washington State
Rain and more Rain
Some Sun, Wind and Snow.

Goats: Nubains
:pygoras

Use: Dairy and Fiber

Winter: Spring: Summer:Fall

Alfafla Free Choice
Timothy Orchard was added this yr Hay was hard to get in....
Throvine kelp out frre choice
Sweetlix Caprine Magnum milk mineral free choice
Kop Sel from Fir Medows was added this week.

Summer Spring Fall: they go out on the acreage for Browes: Grassland and woods:

Grain mix:
Rolled Barley
Whole oats
Boss
Split peas Yellow or green
Alfafla Pellets
I do top dress with Flax Seed

AC in 2 waters buckets free choice daily.

I have a Dry COB mix i use once in a while.

I am feeding a buck frist time owner so will be watching
him in the fall for his dietary needs.

I am getting away from all GMO feeds.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
feel free to ask any questions.

I apologize if this is too off subject for this thread.
Please don't apologize for answering questions based on your feeding practices. This thread is intended as a share/ learn environment. You can't learn if you don't ask questions, right?

I encourage everyone to ask questions for clarification on anyone's feeding practices. Just remember, everyone posting is true to their farm and no one is wrong ;)

Carry on... :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Mossy Stone Farm -
Would you care to share your grain mix ratios?
Do you pre-grind your flax seeds? In humans this is an important step or the seeds go in and out the same ;) goats may do some self grinding of the seeds...idk

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have been wanting to try flax seed, but I don't even now what the format is for buying it, the cost, or how it is fed. Does it come in a bag like corn? is it ground? how much do you feed?

I just started trying BOSS this summer on some of my yearling FF(first freshners), probably more like first timers since I am a meat farm. they seem to really like it mixed into the grain. it was $17 for a 25lb bag.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I have been wanting to try flax seed, but I don't even now what the format is for buying it, the cost, or how it is fed. Does it come in a bag like corn? is it ground? how much do you feed?

I just started trying BOSS this summer on some of my yearling FF(first freshners), probably more like first timers since I am a meat farm. they seem to really like it mixed into the grain. it was $17 for a 25lb bag.
BOSS has gone up here by 200% in the past 6 months! :rolleyes:

I'm awaiting Mossy Farms reply on the flax too :)

Cooperkeeper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you for this thread. So much to learn and so much experience here.

I would love to hear Mossy Farms mix as well.

Do several of you use the ACV and how much in water bucket?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since BOSS is at $25/50lbs I too would like to hear on the flax seed. What benefits does the flaxseed provide? How is it purchased and how much are you paying?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I get my flax seed from an Amish store about 1 hr away...$18.00 for a 50# bag of meal.

Mossy Stone Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OMG I just paid and this might be last bag of BOOS for 29.00 for 50 lbs My flax meal is 15.00 for 50 lbs. Looks like i maybe back to researching grains again... Good thing i don't mind