Let's Talk Set ups!! Fencing, housing, etc

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine's fairly simple.
1. Clear the land of excess trees and brush.
2. Fence the perimeter.
3.Plant grass.
4. Stock it with animals.
5. build cross fences and install gates.
6. Install handling pen.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/cow-pen-handling-area.36695/
7. Initiate and keep a good chemical program to keep weeds and brush in abatement.
8. Deposit checks from calf and cull sales.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20171003_190607810_HDR.jpg
this is a pic of the back side of my barn and hog pen also the white shed is the goat shed. The barn and all the board fence is recycled telephone poles. I was given 160 poles free from the rail road. I had to clean them by hand load them.by had haul the to a mill unload by hand then load cut boards by hand and unload cut boards by hand then build barn. I figured every board I touched at least six times. The bolts and metal straps I took to the scrap yard and it paid for all the milling. The roof came off of another barn. So all said and done the barn and fence cost me less then 1000 dollars. But it was a little bit of work.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The barn is 20x48 just in case anyone wants to know. It is divided into four sections. Wood shed, grain area, built in and removable pen area, and loafing shed. U have to walk outside to get to the wood shed but the rest u can walk threw.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20150926_221044.jpg
and here is a pic of the all summer to build chicken coop. I think I had at least 100 in it. Most of the wood is recycled out of dumpsters. The roof I made at work. I had to get fancy and make angles that my saw would not cut so had to free hand cut every thing. But it turned out nice. Everyone likes the look of it. It is on 4x6 skids so I am dragging it into place.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So cute, and what a crazy steal for that barn, though it sounds like you more than worked for it in labor and time! So awesome

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Simpleterrier I admire all the hard work you put into your barn. :clap What a bonanza of getting all those poles. :) The scrounger in me is drooling. :drool LOL You sure came out with a great barn. :thumbsup I love the roof cuts in the chicken coop. :love Do your chickens know they live in such a beautiful coop? :D =D

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you @Baymule Some do but others keep trying to escape.

One thing to remember with old telephone poles is that some are cedar and not treated. Horses like to eat cedar. So don't put three cedar boards in one section of fence or you will have lose horses. Don't ask me how I know.

That is the second barn we built the first was a 20x20 three sided shed. It was 100 percent recycled. Then the free poles came and down came the old shed.

We had a barn party on a Saturday with friends. We had it all up except for the roof me and two guys did that the next week end. But it is always getting things added and removed. Right now I'm thinking about adding a buck pen and shed between the barn and hog pen. Already have a guy giving me a trailer load of cut 18 foot telephone poles for a mixed box on pork and beef. Just got to find the time to get them.