LGD chews on lambs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I go through the HUSH routine and they start barking again. Then I know it’s a predator. Bear in mind that predators can be a possum, deer, rat snake, anything and everything that doesn’t “belong”.

Before we had the two acres behind the horse barn forestry mulched, a couple of does would jump in to have their fawns. It was thick with briars, it provided good cover. The does knew the dogs couldn’t reach them and left their tracks walking right next to the fence, with the dogs barking madly. Every. Single. Night. Sigh.......

TheSheeper

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When there is a predator nearby both of them will go crazy barking. Even my dads old hound dog will join in. I don't mind that bc they are trying to keep the predators away. But this barking is repeated, she stops for five minutes, continues, stops again, continues, and it keeps going. Even when she isn't tied up she will keep barking all night. I've hollered at her, I've gone outside to, put in a nice way, discipline her. It has become very annoying and my dad threatened to take her to the pound/ give her away if I don't put a stop to this. I'll try all of it out and let you know how it goes.
I've told my family to have patience with both her and me. She's still a puppy so it may take a while for her to understand. Thank you for the advice.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is 6 months old. LGDs mature around 2 years old. She may be barking because she is bored. Sometimes other dogs within hearing distance will bark. Then she barks, they bark, she barks....... As she grows and matures, this will calm down. It does get better, really it does.

TheSheeper

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry I took so long to write an update, but here I am today! Good news, after training and some yelling every now and then my LGD doesn’t chase my lambs anymore. Yay. Still not completely trusting her yet as she is a puppy and every now and then will try to put up a good chase. She’s doing well and has stopped barking at night after learning hush. So she’s doing pretty well. Thanks for all the advice!

Latest posts