Lickaroo and Lucy kidding thread 2017

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does can get a little soft and tighten back up around kidding time. Try to feel after the doe has been up and moving. Sometimes you will see a doe drop down in her pasterns too.

I know many say the standards go after day 150 but I believe all our lamanchas have kidded before day 150. Our Nubian kidded at 149 in 2016 and I THINK 147 in 2015. One of our lamanchas has always kidded on day 145. Longest we've had a doe go was until 153. She was an alpine/lamancha (75%/25%)

Congratulations on the calf! We need some pics :)

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does can get a little soft and tighten back up around kidding time. Try to feel after the doe has been up and moving. Sometimes you will see a doe drop down in her pasterns too.

I know many say the standards go after day 150 but I believe all our lamanchas have kidded before day 150. Our Nubian kidded at 149 in 2016 and I THINK 147 in 2015. One of our lamanchas has always kidded on day 145. Longest we've had a doe go was until 153. She was an alpine/lamancha (75%/25%)

Congratulations on the calf! We need some pics :)
Not sure if I can get good pics of the calf because our cows are range cows and we have to ride out to find them. I will be sure to take my camera in the future though so that I can take pictures while we tag them! The one today was a little black bull with a white spot above his right eye. So cute! My husband and I tagged him.
Thanks for the advice on the ligaments! Today is day 149 so hopefully we have babies soon!

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Soooo I have another question, once ligaments disappear is it always true that the kid 12 to 24 hours later? Can it be quicker? Can they lose ligaments and kid in as little as one hour? Lickaroo's left lig is pretty mush, I can still feel her right one. I can feel both on Lucy. Also that Boer doe that we bought is bagging up and her ligaments are softening. Boer goats don't get as much of a bag as dairy breeds do they? Also she is a FF, does that make a difference?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like I said every doe is different.
I've had a doe with rock solid ligs and a small udder one night, and had triplets on the ground the next morning :ep
I've had does that feel squishy and somewhat loose their ligs on/off for several days.

Last year, had a FF that was on day 145.
She was running with the herd at that points. Put the hay out and she ran to the feeder with all the other goats.
I looked at her and noticed her udder was getting bigger, and she still had some of her ligs. I left her there while I started filling water buckets.

15 minutes later she is back up at the barn.
Started having light contractions.

Bedded down a stall and grabbed the kidding kit.

Moved the doe into stall.
Went to house to grab camera
Came back and she is pushing hard.
Within a few minutes she had twin doelings.
Fastest delivery ever! All this happened in about an hour. She went from "looks like today" to "RIGHT NOW" that fast.
The nice thing is that we got the birth on video. Everything was perfect :)

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have kids!!! Lickaroo had triplets last night at about 11:30 so she had them on day 150! I checked her ligaments at 10 and they were soft but still there, then I walked out the door at 11:57 and heard mehhhhh!!! Newborn kid cries are the best! Two bucks and a doe, the buck with the black head is HUGE! The doe has some frostbitten ears but it isn't too bad hopefully, they are a little swollen though. It was 20 degrees when they were born!

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG