LocoYokel - Born in a Barn

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Captain's Log: Stardate/Earth 03.17.17
Mothership Suki is now four days overdue. Routine sweeps have been upgraded to every two hours and full alert is in effect for the next forty-eight hours.
We have received no communication regarding the mission being aborted however this could be the case. Her maiden voyage ended in loss of all crew and this is her second run.
Fleet Command has issued a warning for the "Suki".This behavior from a Mothership could lead to her being decommissioned and docked.
View attachment 29533

Captain's Log: Stardate/Earth 03.20.17
The Mothership Suki is now seven days overdue from landing. Her orbit is holding steady but there is no sign of any crew.
We here at Starbase Barn are beginning to believe this was a "False Mission" sent by Fleet Command to test our reaction limits and knowledge base. I find no fault in my officers, as Captain I am fully responsible for any mission failures.
Fleet General Pookie will be arriving from Starbase Farm in ten days to review the situation. At that time the "Suki" will be restocked and sent out for her third voyage.
DSCF0021.JPG

Last edited:

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am a Bad Barn Mom. One of my baby bunz is not prospering as well as the other 6 and I should have noticed way before now, day 9. In my own defense I did have 5 teeth pulled two days after they were born. I managed to peek and do head counts every few days but that was about it.
I really looked today and I have two that are 4X bigger, 3 inbetweeners and another smallish one.
Tilda's first litter was the same, of 5 there were 2 huge, 2 medium, and 1 small. She is a D'Argent/Checkered Giant and I am breeding her to a Silver Fox buck so I would suppose the size differences in one litter would be coming from the mixed genetics. That just might be a good question for the kindling thread I just started.
Having the resources here at BYH really makes me want to learn more. Things have come a long way since I was raised on a farm and I really want to do my best for my critters.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That hutch is really really nice. I don't raise rabbits but I see a "keeper" in the builder of that hutch. What a great home he made for the bunnies.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
...and then she bit me! To back up a bit: I was determined to get baby bun pics today. It was warm on the back porch from the sun coming in the windows so I felt it would be safe to pull them out and put them in a box. MInd you this was not the first time I have pulled her nest box. I also made hay racks and hung them on the back wall last week so everyone would get used to me reaching in every day or two and she doesn't mind that so much. Her striking at me had almost quit.
...back to this morning, I had everything all set up on the porch and a great plan in mind. Do the baby pics first so I don't smell like any of the other rabbits because that seems to upset her. So what do I do? Go out and automatically do my chores. When I realized I had forgotten to take the pics I just reached right in to grab the nestbox and BAM! Right on the inside of my arm by the elbow, OUCH! Now this was first for her AND me, she has been a growler and a striker but never a biter and I have never been bit by a rabbit. (Now I can add that to my list!) Maybe she realized her babes would be gone 10 minutes instead of 2 this round? Just so glad I had on a heavy sweatshirt and long-sleeve T under, she left a good welt and a bruise.
...anyways, at risk to life and limb, here are baby bun pics...
1. Wee one sandwich, it is second from the right. 2. Littles in the middle. 3.Biggest and littlest posed for me (center)!
20170323_111854.jpg 20170323_111833.jpg 20170323_111813.jpg
Tilda may be ornery when she has kits but so far she is the only one having any. Suki had a false pregnancy this time and lost all her kits the first time. We will see if Ella is actually bred next week (due the 28th). Ella is an overweight two year old bred to a first time buck. She did refuse my buck at two weeks, so I am hoping!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a male that has bit me more than once. Why do I keep him? Good question. He doesn't throw big litters, but he is my only pedigreed buck at the moment. I have been contemplating holding back a pedigreed offspring of his to replace him, but just haven't taken the measures to produce one. And, it also means I have decided to cull the sire at the appropriate time. Maybe I should just go ahead and set the plan in motion and get a little grit.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well it has been a busy weekend around here!
My neighbor with the sheep I cared for bought a larger place about a 10 minute drive away. He has been living there for almost a year now but the pens are built and it was time to take the livestock over. I am really going to miss them. They are not that far away but it just won't be the same as being able to walk out the door and across the road. The stress of lambing time I am NOT going to miss! (Which means I will probably be living on his couch next year when the ewe's are due! :confused:)
On a sadder note the wee kit of Tilda's did not make it. That I had expected but I also lost another kit, it had somehow gotten out of the nest and with temps close to freezing at night it just didn't stand a chance. Tilda also piddled in her nest so I had to remove it again to get them some dry bedding. I saved as much of the old nest as I could and rebuilt with that. She has pulled more fur to tuck around them so I hope she is still feeding them. That was Saturday evening so later today I will take a peek... She hates me messing with her box and I don't blame her, she did a wonderful job with her first litter but that was late fall and the nights were not so bitterly cold so I didn't feel the need to check as often as I do this spring.
Ella has settled right in after being moved to the new hutch and seems to enjoy being back outside instead of shut away in the barn. I put in her nest box Saturday and even tho no fur pulled yet she has made a cozy little spot for herself in it. Note to self: Get her mineral block (which all the rabbits have and none seem to use :hu) hung up today.
pic1: New hutch in place. (By the time we got it leveled it is about a foot too tall!) pic2: Empty set up with nest box in place. pic3: Ella in her new place.
20170324_155939.jpg 20170324_160009.jpg 20170324_161425.jpg
I am quite happy with the hay racks I made:
20170324_160042.jpg
The bunz seem to like them too!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing everything just right for the difference in seasons and the nest box sanitation. I've got a doe that I have to clean up her nest box too at least once before they leave for good. Nice hay racks. Keeps it so much cleaner than the floor of the cage where I put mine. Mine had to get used to eating it and not peeing on it.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I went out to check Tilda's kits this afternoon and found... ELLA was having hers! I was already peeking when it dawned on me she might not be done, I have never seen one of my does kindle during the day but I am sure it happens. I backed off and left her alone, she looked like she had things under control. So proud of my pudgy ol' gal! When I looked in tonite she had pulled a bit more fur but still not much and it is going to get down 35F. I picked up the pulled fur that was on the wire and tucked it in, hope she adds some more and the kits make it thru the night... :fl
Getting back to Tilda, her kits are fat and warm and dry so she didn't abandon them when I cleaned the nest. She even seems calmer. Their little eyes were open today too! :celebrate

Thanks on the hay racks @Pastor Dave, I just took some leftover fencing wire (2"x4") folded it into a V and wired the sides. I did grind down the sharp nubbies where I clipped the fence wire so nobody would get scratched. The holes are big enuff and the rack narrow enuff that an adult rabbit won't get it's head caught in it and kits shouldn't get hung up on it. The drawback is it only holds nice long stem hay, that chopped up duff they sell for hay at my feed store just falls through. Not that I am picky about hay... ;)

Latest posts