MAMA passed away have kid born 1/19/20.

Kelly5431

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have another goat in milk but she won't let him nurse. What should I use for milk replacement? The poor baby is screaming for his mama.

Kelly5431

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this :hugs , did the kid get any colostrum from mama before she passed? Can you milk the doe in milk and bottle feed the little guy? When we had bottle kids, we used whole cow milk from the store.

@B&B Happy goats, @babsbag @OneFineAcre @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice
Yes he has nursed for the past 13 days. We are going to try to milk the other doe, just wasn't sure how much hr should get if we bottle feed and for how long there is so much info and would rather info come from someone experienced and not 1000 different schools of thoughts.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes he has nursed for the past 13 days. We are going to try to milk the other doe, just wasn't sure how much hr should get if we bottle feed and for how long there is so much info and would rather info come from someone experienced and not 1000 different schools of thoughts.
You should be feeding 4 times per day and stop feeding when the belly is still loose NOT tight....they will only drink 1 to 3 oz..per feeding in the beginning, depending on breed of goat. Use whole cow milk and warm it .... :highfive:.

Last edited:

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It may take a few days before he takes to the bottle, but he will get there. Like B&B said, feed 4x per day, or even maybe 5-6 if he doesn't take any at first. We recommend feeding a goat milk replacer. Tractor Supply should have Does Match Land O Lakes milk replacer.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The few bottle babies that I've raised did great on whole cow milk. Just my experience... A really high quality replacer might be ok too - I just have never used any that have worked for me.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used whole cows milk as well. At his age I would feed him until he spits the nipple out and then give him a few seconds and try again. I let them spit it out 3 times and then we are done. At two weeks I start feeding three times a day.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
All good advice. The milks suggested are good but, I use actual goat doe milk. So long as I have does in milk it's just a better solution, IMO. It's there, warm, paid for, and easier for me. LOL I also know it's pure milk and the doe herd has been vaccinated.

Rarely will a goat accept another kid to nurse. Occasionally, one will if she's in a stanchion & can't smell the kid...thinks it's hers. Normally, I bottle the kid and even let it stay with other kids, if it isn't being picked on. I've had does accept one sleeping with their kids, just not nursing her.

That's just the experience I've had here. Haven't had to bottle but two in several years.

I am sorry that you lost your doe. :hugs

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should be feeding 4 times per day and stop feeding when the belly is still loose NOT tight....they will only drink 1 to 3 oz..per feeding in the beginning, depending on breed of goat. Use whole cow milk and warm it .... :highfive:.
I read sometimes adding some buttermilk makes it taste better to them...is that necessary, or just plain old milk is just great