Mange

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In hind sight I should not have gotten the girls. Poor choice\lack of knowledge on my part. They are now 9weeks. We got them at 2 days shy of 4 weeks (she did not tell me their age til we were almost there and I drove a couple hours to pick up.

They did not LOOK like they had a HUGE parasite load. and really the small one has a hard condition and a possible liver shunt, which is why she is so, so small. The bigger of the two was almost 10 lbs last we checked and had gained over a pound in a week where sis gained an ounce and a half.

Lesson learned. We were kind of in a crunch to get company for a lone goat baby we had who was terribly lonely. Never again.

Nigerian Dwarf kids

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Might be ringworm, too. Stress can make them more prone to it.
My experience has been the scruffy stuff you describe on back, neck, face to be ringworm. It is a fungus, not a worm.

And, if more like a piece of chicken dredged in buttermilk and flour, on the legs, stomach, then a bacterial infection called rain rot.

I would talk to vet, too about another deworming. When L4 stage of barberpole worm comes out of 'hibernation' in the instestinal wall, you won't see anything on a fecal. They are immature, so not shedding any eggs. Dr. Sharon Patton, who teaches parasitology at UTenn vet school says to deworm, wait ten days, deworm, wait ten days, deworm again, when you make a new purchase. She recomends something that gets tapes and flukes for at least one deworming. She said that even though TN does not have flukes, with all the movement of goats/sheep that it is prudent to act as if we do.

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! I've sent in a new fecal sample for testing and will go from there for that. They were so young when we found they had so many parasites they had to have gotten them soon after birth. The vet was shocked they had adult stage at just shy of 5 weeks old!

I've started putting anti fungal cream on her several times daily and that seems to be clearing the spot up. Yay!!! Not crusty at all just no hair. I'll keep that up for a bit.

Thanks everyone