Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't been on alot recently because work has been long days at the far site including the weekend. I stole last Saturday off and took Cassandra to North Texas Fair to see the sheep shows. I also traded my Hyundai Ioniq for a Toyota Highlander. I got tired of getting stuck in the mud.

I got the 3 day weekend off just in time to be sick. There is a bug making it's way thru the family. I was lying down and Cassandra came running in saying a "A SHEEP IS CAUGHT IN THE FENCE!!" Husband went to check and found Pepper had put her head thru the e-net fence, got stuck, and choked herself. 😭😭😭😭😭

They had only been out grazing for 2 hours so she couldn't have been dead long. I sucked it up and got ready to process her. Husband stuck a 2x4 between two trees in shade and called for reinforcements. By time my sister in law and het husband got here with tools, I had Pepper bled out.

My amazing family helped me get everything processed and in fridge in 2.5hrs from time of discovery. BIL was giving me tips as we went. First time I've processed something larger than chicken or rabbit.

Pepper
20220716_072550~2.jpgon left
20220727_071931~2.jpgon right

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sad you lost her. I'm glad you found her in time to harvest the meat. It's difficult, I know. Last of mine that I had to unexpectedly harvest, broke her ankle and we had to do what we had to do. Thankfully my hunter neighbor was here that weekend and did the deed, gutted and skinned....with his deer set up. I had ice and coolers ready ... Only me to go beyond his quartering for me.

Raising livestock has its moments. Bitter, sweet and everything between. :hugs of course their calendars only have weekends...and the faves volunteer. 😔

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is so hard to bear. I’m so sorry about Pepper. Heartbreaking to lose her. It takes a certain kind of person to face the hard reality of accidental death, and suck it up, to harvest the meat. At least you kept it from being a total loss. I’m so sorry.