1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Meet Pearl, New Horse

Discussion in 'Everything Else Horses, Mules & Donkeys' started by Baymule, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Aug 3, 2019
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave Herd Master

It's a bit of a stretch, but I rescued a German Shepherd once that was a year and a half and looked like a walking skeleton with hair. He did very similar. Hair changed out to a beautiful coat and body toned up. It's amazing how a malnourished animal can get healthy. I am sure the larger the animal, the longer the repair time and a lot more effort! Your horse looks great!

2. Aug 7, 2019
    robhuncor

robhuncor Ridin' The Range

Riding should help muscle her up also. Her coat looks so much healthier and I love her color change!

3. Aug 7, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Thanks! Pearl will take a long time to get her right. She is a beautiful soul on the inside, I have to bring her outside up to health.

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  4. Aug 7, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  5. Aug 8, 2019
    robhuncor

robhuncor Ridin' The Range

I'm in the most south eastern corner of Dutchess County right next to the Connecticut border, about 2 hours from the capitol region. I used to spend the yearling sale season working in Saratoga Springs every August.

Some of the things we do on the horse farm where I work is sales prepping of young stock, care of pregnant mares and foals and layups of racehorses. Bay, when we have a horse that needs building up a bit, the guys use a supplement called Body Builder to help condition them. I don't work hands on with the horses (I'm the office manager) but I know it's given daily on the feed pellets. Our feed is 14% protein, good quality that comes from Kentucky. The supplement cost is about $1/day and it's given until the horse improves or sometimes on a daily basis for poor keepers. A splash of corn oil on the feed is another option.

Sumi, Bruce, AmberLops and 3 others like this.
  6. Aug 8, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I use a 14% Feed and free Feed hay. I have used corn oil in the past, thanks for the reminder.

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.