Messybun’s Small starts big dreams

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know that blank stare......... a rolled up newspaper is still the best punishment. That and a deep gutteral AAAHHNNNTTTTT! (strikes fear in children and dogs)

My first duck shelter was a pallet with plastic feed bags stapled to it, set on 4 milk crates. They loved it and piled up under it to sleep.
They’re seeming to love it. I have a suspicion that if I made something that was pretty they’d never touch it.
Oh, he was actually behaving here, (rare occurrence) this particular blank stare is because he’s blind. Poor guy got super bad cataracts a few years back and just can’t see. Mind you, it didn’t slow him down, just occasionally flattens his nose.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, one of Amazing Neighbor’s puppies got attacked by fire ants last night and went into anaphylaxis. After shocking, Benadryl and what not he’s still here. I’m puppy sitting while Neighbor is at work. The puppy still has a stiff neck and front legs. His throat is really swollen too. Aside from Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream on his stomach do you know anything else to help the little guy?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yikes! Christmas is so close. I still have a little shopping to do and no baking has been done yet. The house has not been decorated as much as some years, but that’s okay, it’s been so hectic lol. I stopped by my local wildlife rehab place. Man, I forgot how much I loved it. It’s been about a year and a half since I got my license (to get a rehab license in my state you have to go through an internship and x amount of hours) and I haven’t really been back. I’ve taken in a few creatures, mostly bunnies, but just haven’t gone back to help. Between the juvenile crows getting ready for the world and the random screaming whatevers it was kind of cool to know what to do and what they are. Felt homey if that makes sense. I hope I can find some time to go there in the new year. At the moment... the garden is a wreck and I need to start my hot pepper seeds already! Hopefully they’ll grow. Laundry soap needs done, I need to wash eggs to sell them. I’m so bad at washing my eggs. Duck eggs last just as long out of the fridge than in it so I’ll just leave them in a bucket until I need to sell them. Bad habit I know. Paver stones need put down and tamped. Just basic stuff, but then holiday preparations too.
Oh, and the geese decided last night to try and put themselves to bed with the ducks and ducklings. They don’t do that, ever. So I left the door open. I trust their instincts and figured they could herd the adult ducks wherever they wanted. Turns out they spent a few hours keeping the ducks out of the water before it froze. Hard not to laugh at the geese for that, they spent their first year of life refusing to stay out of water; they even slept in their pool when it was snowing. Anyways, merry Christmas!
P.s. the puppy went back home and is now playing like a normal puppy! What a little fighter!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You'd better get busy on Christmas! It's almost here! What'cha gonna bake? Pies? That's good news on the puppy, he had a good nurse taking care of him!
Aww, thank you. Cookies, pies, maybe gingerbread, and if the oven is on I might toss in a cake too. I love freezing desserts and surprising myself later🤣.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made pumpkin pies yesterday from Giant Pink Banana squash that I grew. One squash makes 3-4 pies! I've had fun and amazement with this squash. It put on 3 crops from 3 vines. The last crop I picked before frost so it didn't have time to mature. No problem, the sheep love the machette chopped squash and fight to be the first to eat it all. They also love the seed pulp and skins of the cooked squash. Even if I didn't cook and eat the squash, It would be worth growing just for the sheep!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ahh yes, the endless search for livestock. Sheep? None to my liking available. Dairy goat? Not what I need. Goats I at least have a better chance with. I’m sure the right goat will come along at the right time, but man I’m impatient! All the leads I’ve found are boys, far away, out of my budget, not a breed I want or a combination of all of it. I’m not even that picky! I don’t care about registration, mixed breed, or even really age. I’m fine with a gal past her prime, I’m fine with a bottle baby, I’m fine with an injured goat (partially blinded, missing an ear, sagging attachments, basically anything not genetic) I just want a smallish family milk goat who isn’t diseased. That being said, if I wanted grass monsters there are plentiful boers, kikos, and the like. Morning whine over. Hope y’all have a very merry Christmas!

Latest posts