Michigan

ScioValley

Just born
Reaction score
Howdy y'all! Been surfin' BYC for a couple of years, figured I'd jump in BYH as well. Quite the resource to say the least....good folks, great info..... many thanks to everyone who makes it possible. Located w. Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Co. We have a variety of rare breed chickens, American Chinchilla Rabbits and 'Baby Kitty'. 'BK' was adopted to manage an over-population of chipmunks.......aside from target practice, what are chipmunks good for?

Dascountry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey there Michigan.....I'm located in the NE part of the tip of the mit :) Just introduced myself on the new born forum (cute) This looks like a great place to get some more knowledge about my little critters that won't stay little for long. Nice to meet all of you.

Dascountry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:ep Hey Michiganders out there! Where are you? Lets get this post going. I feel so alone here by myself :(

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Haha, unfortunately the Michigan thread here on BYH is rather inactive compared to the one on BYC (a sistersite). We're here though :D

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Dascountry! :frow I am Farmerboy16 from BYC.
I know its very slooow here! :ep

Well, my dad and I are going to the Dairy Auction on Thursday to see what is like, as we are looking for a bred heifer for a family cow in the spring. :celebrate

Dascountry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've been bouncing from site to site. Keeps me quessing on whats what. Farmerboy we have two little calves right now. Red (his name) is for some beef later on and Brownie will be our bull. We've been looking for another heifer since we lost our little Gertie about a week and a half ago. She was only 2 weeks. Brownie is a jersey but we'd like another angus to breed with him. We've had cattle before but just for beef. Preque Isle was lifted from the TB zone but they found 3 TB positive deer this past season so now all the cattle need to be tested no matter what age. And we are under the TB zone AGAIN. It's all rather confusing at times :( We've been to the stock yard in GAYLORD. As a matter of fact thats where we got out Red. It is rather exciting, so have a good time, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So who else is getting pounded by a blizzard? Seven or eight inches already with 5-8 more expected. Winds are driving the snow vertically. When I walked to the chicken coop, about five minutes later when I walked back to the house, my tracks had been erased completely! This is the first real winter storm to hit.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, its raining here and very hard winds. Temp is 34 degrees. There still a bit of snow left from last week's storm.

Dascountry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Snowing and windy here temp 32, schools are closed and I'm gunna stay home and inside! Looks like mini snow tornados outside :ep

ScioValley

Just born
Reaction score
Sad to report:
Our animals have been evicted from our 2.5 acre agri-zoned property. We had a pretty tight, clean and well managed self sustainable operation... Thanks to new development and citified neighbors we have lost our homestead. If you have any animals other than domestic pets on less than 5 acres your 'livestock' will be subject to eviction as well. This includes chickens, rabbits and other 'small' critters not considered as pets. Ordinance enforcement is coming your way- per Lodi Township, Michigan.

Sad times for an already struggling agricultural community...