Michigan

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ScioValley said:
Sad to report:
Our animals have been evicted from our 2.5 acre agri-zoned property. We had a pretty tight, clean and well managed self sustainable operation... Thanks to new development and citified neighbors we have lost our homestead. If you have any animals other than domestic pets on less than 5 acres your 'livestock' will be subject to eviction as well. This includes chickens, rabbits and other 'small' critters not considered as pets. Ordinance enforcement is coming your way- per Lodi Township, Michigan.

Sad times for an already struggling agricultural community...
I am so sorry to hear that. A huge blow against self sustainability. It isn't like you were keeping animals in mud and slime, or smelly conditions. Nope, some people just have a problem against anything that isn't neat and orderly and in tune with their little 'paradise' of keeping up with the Jones'.

Dascountry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ScioValley said:
Sad to report:
Our animals have been evicted from our 2.5 acre agri-zoned property. We had a pretty tight, clean and well managed self sustainable operation... Thanks to new development and citified neighbors we have lost our homestead. If you have any animals other than domestic pets on less than 5 acres your 'livestock' will be subject to eviction as well. This includes chickens, rabbits and other 'small' critters not considered as pets. Ordinance enforcement is coming your way- per Lodi Township, Michigan.

Sad times for an already struggling agricultural community...
Wow how sad is that...sorry to hear that you had to get rid of the livestock. We've got 45 acres here and so far off the main track we only have to worry about the bear and coyotes and other smaller critters getting after our animals. No neighbors close to speak of. A couple of hunting camps, and cottages around the lake. I have noticed that we have 4 year rounders now at the lake when there was only one 10 years ago. Its truly a shame that people under 5 acres can't have the operations that help feed thier own familes. Espeally when its AG zoned to begin with. But that is what happens with the suburbs expanding, soon no country living left :(

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This weather is KILLING me! I can't handle such dramatic weather shifts. I was outside doing outside work, and it is so hot outside. I just checked the weather and it says it fells like 86 degrees :th in March! And there is a very stiff wind here, but not the refreshing kind, but the blast furnace kind.

There is a reason I live in the northern areas, so it isn't beastly hot.

Dascountry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Its 86 out right now...just can't take this heat already....I need some cool weather to clear the yard. I hear it's coming back next week though.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Dascountry said:
Its 86 out right now...just can't take this heat already....I need some cool weather to clear the yard. I hear it's coming back next week though.
Yea, so the forecast said. I am hoping it cools off soon.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Stacykins said:
Dascountry said:
Yea, so the forecast said. I am hoping it cools off soon.
I can barely do anything outside, and have been having headaches from the heat. Almost 90 degrees today! :th I hate it! I am so looking forward to cooler weather!!! :celebrate

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I have kids reserved at a local breeder. My first choice doe for a doeling kidded with one doe, and the breeder is retaining the kid. No biggie! But my second choice doe kidded, and had a doeling and buck. But the doeling was stuck in the birth canal until the vet was able to free her. They managed to revive her, but it'll be a rough few days, apparently the kid isn't enthusiastic about eating yet. I really hope the kid pulls through and thrives, I am worried just like a new mother!

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey Michiganiacs. Been a member on here for a few years but I've been lapsed since last fall. Just checking in to see how everyone is enjoying the spring weather. We're going to get seeds started soon and we got some more raspberry, blackberry plants added as well as adding a few fruit trees. One of our hazelnut shrubs accidentally got mowed and we want to get a few more hazelnuts. We've got some new bantam chicks (should update the sig line). Probably going riding here in an hour or so.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bumping this thread since we have some more Michigan members.

What's everyone's spring/summer plans?

Mine's the usual gardening/horseback riding/tending to goats & children.

Stacykins, I plan to be in your neck of the woods Memorial Day weekend, I usually do the Grand Island Endurance Ride outside of Rapid River ever year.

lhawes

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am in Mid Michigan as well, and new to BYH! I have been on BYC for awhile now, but we just started our new adventure into goats. My husband wanted to get a small family farm going, so we are in the process of growing that.

Latest posts