Milking goat problems

Terry Farha

Just born
Reaction score
I don feed corn, I feed two parts barely two parts oats one part sunflower and one part calf Mana and sometimes some beet bulp. However when I was training my doe daisy I use (based off southern by choice and Latestarter advice and what I had) I used two lead ropes and tired the under her blly and over my mil stand but mine has a roof over top. Here a picture not this doe doesnt have to be tired she use to when she would kick but she didn't lay down like daisy.View attachment 57484

Terry Farha

Just born
Reaction score
First, :frow welcome to Backyard Herds. You have come to the right place to ask questions and get some good advise.

As far as kicking goats, my first two LaMancha’s were kickers. It was SO frustrating, but eventually we figured out that we needed to die their back legs to the milk stand. It took some time (as in several months), but eventually they got the message and stopped kicking. So yes, patience is the key. Ours never squated down, so I’m not sure what to do about that. I know @Southern by choice and @Goat Whisperer had a problem with that, at one time. Maybe they have a suggestion.

Thank you

Terry Farha

Just born
Reaction score
I like the idea of the upside down bucket, @Southern by choice. And patience is definitely the key.

Another thought. Whenever you put them on the stand, to do maintenance, give their bodies (including their udder) a good rubbing, so they get used to being touched. I go at them from all sides, including the back. Then when it is time to milk them they won’t be so sensitive about being touched. That will probably help FF when it’s time for the kids to start nursing off mom.

DO you use a machine to milk them or by hand?

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
DO you use a machine to milk them or by hand?
Both. I have a single teat pump, that I use intermittently. It is battery operated. In other words I let it build pressure just long enough for it to start pumping and then stop the pump. Milk continues to go into the jar. When it stops, I pump for a 5 or 10 seconds and stop the pump. Towards the end I take it off and hand milk.

All of my does, this year, will be FF. So, in the beginning, I will hand milk, and then gradually add the pump.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you but i am celiac and cant have barley so i dont feed my goats wheat, barley or oats.

Do these products affect you if not eating them? Because they are excellent for goats, specially milking ones. I buy steamed, flaked barley and crimped oats to mix.

Terry Farha

Just born
Reaction score
Both. I have a single teat pump, that I use intermittently. It is battery operated. In other words I let it build pressure just long enough for it to start pumping and then stop the pump. Milk continues to go into the jar. When it stops, I pump for a 5 or 10 seconds and stop the pump. Towards the end I take it off and hand milk.

All of my does, this year, will be FF. So, in the beginning, I will hand milk, and then gradually add the pump.

Sometimes i wonder if they dont like to be milked because of the pump. My uncle is stubborn old man LOL and keeps telling me it doesnt bother them. But i think it does personally.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes i wonder if they dont like to be milked because of the pump. My uncle is stubborn old man LOL and keeps telling me it doesnt bother them. But i think it does personally.
I wouldn’t start them off with the pump, as a first freshener. I would start hand milking them, to get them used to being touched. Eventually, I would start the milking session milking by hand. Once the fullness has gone down some, I would put the pump on for just aa few minutes, to get her used to it. Then, I would go back and finish her off by hand. I would then eventually work up to longer and longer periods, until she was used to it. I wouldn’t milk her dry, with the pump, though, as I would think that might hurt her, at the end.

Latest posts