Milking sheep?

SweetDreams

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This isn't too old, but I wanted to bump it up. I am curious about this as well-

Not that I'd be out milking my sheep. At 8 months pregnant- I can barely open the gallon in our fridge without losing my balance!

Anyone got a list of the best breeds to milk?

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Best breeds for milking are East Friesian, British milk sheep, Dorset, and Lacaune. We are going toa breeding goat/sheep auction on Dec 2 to look for a milk sheep or two. If that doesn'tpan out, there is a East friesian dairy farm just around the corner.

Hubby and I decided on sheep as opposed to goats for several reasons. 1-he's not a big fan of goats and their antics. 2- goats are browsers, as opposed to grazers, 3-therefor sheep would be more suitable to our farm land, and 4- as BBH said, more cheese from the same amount of milk. 5--sheep appear (in writng anyway) to be less finicky in their care and maintenance (except for shearing).
I'm not sure if we will come home with anything, but dairy sheep WILL be in our future within the next year.

FourWands

Just born
Reaction score
I hand milk East Friesians and E. Friesian crosses. Our best milkers produce maybe 3 quarts a day on average.
Hand milking sheep isn't really that difficult but a little different then goats (we have both). A smaller teat requires you work work a little higher up on the udder but you get the hang of it.

I am definitely more of a sheep fan than I am of goats although I have had goats far longer. Sheep have a naturally shorter lactation period then goats so after 5 months I dry them up and don't need to be out there milking when it's -30F. I keep our goats lactations shorter then the recorded 305 days but I end up feeling a little guilty about it! :p

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
digging up an old thread :p cause i'm curious.

still in my research phase and begin saving up.
i have goats and have handmilked them for years. i wouldnt think that milking a few sheep would be much more trouble.
i have found almost nothing about sheep milking though.

but if i do try it i am most dumbfounded on what kind of stand i will need. my goat milk stand is homemade. all i can find on sheep milking isnt much and its all based on huge sheep dairies. so of course nothing on what kind of stand i would need.

i am thinkin now that if i do try it, will be a once a day milking. like seperate at night and milk in the morning then put the lambs back with the ewes. and i'm not expecting to get alot, it would just be a fun thing. like a "just because it'll be a cool conversation starter and i want to do it" thing haha :p

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm reviving this, as I'm sure that it's useful to do so.

I am not from a farming background, and have never milked a cow etc.

About 5 years ago we had a ewe with an enormous udder and teats....too large for the lambs when they arrived to get the teats into their mouths. I rang sheep farmer friend...."Milk her" was all he said. I looked on Youtube, armed myself with a clean jug and hand steriliser. The technique is easy....grasp the teat, push upwards with your hand onto the udder, then a gentle squeeze from the top down.The first couple of tries nothing much may happen, but the milking action will release oxytocin in the brain and the milk will then come down. It took rather a while....one person holding the ewe and restraining her and me working on the udder. 2.8 litres from one side and 1.2 from the other. The udder and teats went down nicely so the lambs could feed and I froze containers of the milk/colostrum down to use for other lambs.

Since this experience, I have regularly milked sheep who have over-sized udders and teats and usually it is quite easy to do.

What I would say is...."If I can do it, anybody can"

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Recently I found a few sheep handmilking videos on youtube.com that were very helpful.

The technique seemed to be quite different from how a goat is milked.

I have goats and have been successfully milking them, with carefulness to be gentle, not going much above the teat when squeezing.

In contrast, the sheep milkers generally grasp the sheep's udder and teats from behind the sheep, drawing the teats backward

between the hind legs to squirt the milk into the milk bucket behind the sheep..

A picture ( a video !) is worth a thousand words...do the search for "handmilking sheep" on youtube and look for Krossos and also

a European (Spanish?) woman who made short work of the milking job.

Their techniques seemed more like milking a bagpipe haha!

Although it looked rather rough the sheep just stood there patiently, no dancing around, and it was a quick process!

Also don't miss the Romanian handmilking of sheep..who needs stanchions or rope ? That one was enlightening!

Equinebliss

Just born
Reaction score
From the research I've done the Icelandic sheep seem to be good milker's, good to eat, & their fiber is useful if you spin it!
I'm trying to learn more about the Sheep Milking aspect like all of you!
My husband and I own a dairy farm. We sold our milking cow's and are now looking at getting in to milking sheep!
Any info would be GREAT!!!!

Faith Hope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 3 Icelandic ewes that we just started milking a few weeks ago. They are much more difficult to milk than goats, but I am finally starting to get the hang of it. The smaller your hands are the better! My girls (10 and 12) are much better at it than I am. We are separating them from the babies at night; we get about 10 to 12 cups (+1/2 gallon) total from all three. We then let the babies stay with them all day. The milk makes great cheese!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well I might be trying my hand at milking sheep too...my bottlebaby does not seem to be doing well on lamb replacer and her mom has plenty enough milk...too bad she's not very tame and she's a BIG girl. I just hope I can get her onto the stand and not fall off! I'll have to report back with my results because if I can do it with this girls anyone will be able to do it.