Miniature horse lame on both fronts

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My mini mare has been lame on both her front legs and I don’t know what’s wrong. She has an appointment with the vet for January 3rd, and we can’t get in any sooner. I gave her some bute yesterday for the pain and it seemed to help, is it safe for me to be giving her some everyday until the appointment? Is there anything I can do to help her feel better? Thanks in advance.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not an expert on mini's... @Mini Horses ???? Sounds more like founder to me in both fronts. Others will have to advise on the bute but I wouldn't think that it will hurt her if not too high a dose. Might want to back off a day or 2 before vet so they can see the whole picture with out the pain meds.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m really worried about her, she did the same thing yesterday, layed down and got up a while after I gave her some bute.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I went out to give her some bute and she had gotten up, so that’s good.

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is her weight like? Have you checked her hooves for injury? Any heat or swelling in her legs? Laying down is a super bad sign, horses need to be up to breath properly. What are you feeding?

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, what condition are her feet in- has she been trimmed recently? When she walks, can you tell if she's favoring a certain part of the leg? Founder does seem likely, but its good to rule out other possibilities.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mini mare has been lame on both her front legs and I
For how long? What is her feed? How much and how often? Has this happened before?

Bute can tear their stomach is fast! Bleeding ulcer fast, especially a mini. Be careful with amount and frequency. If not pregnant, I'd use "buteless". Its devils claw and while strong, somehow doesn't have negatives of Bute...except if preg.

With both sore at once, can't walk, I'd also suspect founder first. Heavy bedding and stall rest, light walk on lead....NO grain!! Good hay 24/7.

You do not want that coffin bone to rotate. You can pad her feet, soft material, like thick sanitary pads, to support the soles when she stands, duck tape on her feet. So the soles are level with hoof wall.

Last edited:

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is her weight like? Have you checked her hooves for injury? Any heat or swelling in her legs? Laying down is a super bad sign, horses need to be up to breath properly. What are you feeding?
I’m not sure exactly what she weighs, but she was at the vets to get her teeth done in November and she said she looked good for winter. She doesn’t have any obvious injuries to her hooves or legs. The minis get timothy hay and a mineral powder.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also, what condition are her feet in- has she been trimmed recently? When she walks, can you tell if she's favoring a certain part of the leg? Founder does seem likely, but its good to rule out other possibilities.
She gets her feet trimmed regularly, the farrier was here in November. She walks pretty stiff legged, she has foundered in the past so that’s what I think it is.