Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are finally getting some consistent rain which is very nice and needed badly. You have made huge progress on your pastures Bay and it shows a ton. We are still at the brush and bare dirt stage, but will get there.

Ordered some new solar lights and I am impressed. They are super bright and were not horribly expensive. They are so useful for sticking in places you dont have electric ran. Our last ones which were not made as well last for 3yrs. They were just on and off by motion. The new ones have 3 settings, full bright from motion, full bright from motion and dim otherwise, or dim from motion. We picked the middle setting which is great for seeing the livestock at night, only the only real issue is if they are placed to close to the ground the livestock make them stay on bright most of the time, putting them up 8-9 ft off the ground seems to fix it but still let it go bright when we walk by.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been busy this week.

Last saturday I went and picked 21lbs of strawberries. Sunday I canned them and they came out very good. We have been getting lots of rain which has made everything vibrant green again. We have been working on the new hay equipment we got and hope to be doing hay starting today. We shall see how things go. The garden is looking good and we should be able to start harvesting some things soon.

Yesterday morning we went out to bottle feed the calves before work and heard running water. Never good but we do have 2 auto-waterers....it wasnt those. The water line in our 2-story broke, as in the previous owner thought it was a great idea to use a hose clamps instead of pex rings and apparently those only work for so long. Luckily we own pex pliers so could put an actual ring on it.

We also finally got our digital water meter and sprinklers set up for the garden...the day before all the rain showed up. :lol: We have not used them yet. At least we have them, as the only forecasted day for rain in the month of july is the 17th.

Sadly we still dont have the entire garden planted and we are running out of time. So long as we get everything that is left planted this weekend we will be ok. We have corn, green beans, squash and pumpkin left to plant. We do already have buttercup squash and zucchini growing thankfully. The corn is short season only being 64 days so should not be a problem, the squash and pumpkins are up to 120 days so that will be close and likely need low tunnels put over them for the last month.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good thing you had reason to go to the barn yesterday morning. Otherwise you’d have gone to work and water would have run all day.!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We start hay this weekend. We have our normal 27 acre field and last night got offered a 30acre field for free. Now where to store it all...

We have tried selling out of the field but people are flaky on showing up for those deals and then when they do they are shocked that they have to load it....thats why you get the discount duh. We are happy to take a couple loads to the auction but even on our biggest road speed trailer we can only fit like 125 bales. We shall see how things go I mean we may cut 15 acres and have it all get washed.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
as in the previous owner thought it was a great idea to use a hose clamps instead of pex rings
:th

last night got offered a 30acre field for free
You must have found the haying season four leaf clover!!! Great deals on machinery and 30 acres of free hay :D

shocked that they have to load it
They don't understand that buying out of the field means some work on their part? You are going to sell it cheaper because you get to put it in their trailer instead of yours?? Sheesh.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:th

You must have found the haying season four leaf clover!!! Great deals on machinery and 30 acres of free hay :D

They don't understand that buying out of the field means some work on their part? You are going to sell it cheaper because you get to put it in their trailer instead of yours?? Sheesh.
I have no idea what is going on this year with hay fields. We got offered another 80 acres on shares and had to say no. It's just to much hay for the two of us to handle alone since it would be all square bales. I can not hand load, then hand unload and stack 140 acres of square bales. It would kill us not to mention we would have no where to put it and not enough time to sell it around the 9-5.

We have a ton of people who "moved to the country" who want to show us hicks how to farm the "proper" way. Meanwhile they know nothing about farming besides what they have seen on movies, tv shows and social media. I guess they just thought we were to stupid to realize we were selling out hay cheap, I dunno. 9 out of 10 just think they can bring their trailer and we are going to load it for them from our already loaded trailer sitting in the field. We had one set of people who we told they had to load their own trailer that is why it is cheaper, they literally DROVE over to out loaded trailer and started pulling hay off.....umm no. The 3 of them managed to load 30 bales from the field before saying they could not do anymore. We ended up delivering and stacking 150 bales for them at a much higher price then the field hay. It was ridiculously hilarious.

In the field is well understood here. I’ve bought in the field before. I’ve taken young, strong help and a trailer and gone by myself with a pickup truck.

People can be so stupid.
Would be so amazing if they understood it here!! Had a lady call for "hay out of the field" and got mad because she couldnt pick it up 4 days later.....you know after it was taken off the field and stacked in our barn, for the same low price. That one actually called us scammers :lol: