My first goat labor!

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe my first goat is in labor! She has the proverbial string of amber mucus hanging from her backside! Woohoo! Her sides feel softer to me as well. I don’t feel ligaments and can squeeze around the base of her tail. Of course I see her lying on the ground, legs outstretched at midnight as rain moves in. I moved her into the kidding pen. She squatted a few times like she was going to pee, but otherwise has been lying down (she did nibble a bit on some alfalfa). She is squirming, but no obvious contractions yet. Panting.
Million dollar question is do I go inside and watch on the remote camera and risk missing it, or do I risk sitting here for hours and nothing happening! 🤪

Have I mentioned how much I love LGDs?We’re being serenaded by coyotes from afar. My big boy won’t let them come close.
C7F715C7-EC6D-4FF1-B61C-7AF24D4C970F.jpeg
B2D63AEC-A8FB-44AD-BE6B-A4EE1CE0F379.jpeg

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Little Otis was born at 4am! He had both hooves backward, so progress stopped once his face was out. I had to go in to slip out each hoof, then he came out smoothly. Nerve-wracking first delivery, but mom and baby look great! I “bounced” but I didn’t feel anything more, so I think she’s done. Waiting on afterbirth. She’s already got him cleaned up (though she’s STILL cleaning!)
A94487BD-0E92-4989-9C29-FB81908F175B.jpeg

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Quick question: the mama has a long, thick strand of tissue hanging out. Is this the afterbirth? I was picturing something a bit more ... substantial. I know not to pull it, but I am wondering if this is all that should be coming. Thanks.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Little Otis was born at 4am! He had both hooves backward, so progress stopped once his face was out. I had to go in to slip out each hoof, then he came out smoothly. Nerve-wracking first delivery, but mom and baby look great! I “bounced” but I didn’t feel anything more, so I think she’s done. Waiting on afterbirth. She’s already got him cleaned up (though she’s STILL cleaning!)
A94487BD-0E92-4989-9C29-FB81908F175B.jpeg
Congratulations!! Woooohooo!! That’s sooo wonderful for you!! I’m so inspired when I see all doing it without too much trouble...makes me feel muccch more relaxed!! Goood job,,now you get to sit back and relax!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
:celebrate[QUOTE="Coolbreeze89, post: 636096, member: 17825"
Quick question: the mama has a long, thick strand of tissue hanging out. Is this the afterbirth? I was picturing something a bit more ... substantial. I know not to pull it, but I am wondering if this is all that should be coming. Thanks.
[/QUOT

Yes it is ...and sometimes it takes a while to fully pass, ...she may have some bloody discharges for several days to weeks, don't be alarmed..... congratulations on your little man... Otis..😍

Last edited:

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:celebrate[QUOTE="Coolbreeze89, post: 636096, member: 17825"
Yes it is and sometimes it take awhile to fully pass, she may have some body discharges for days to weeks, don't be alarmed..too congratulations on your man Otis..😍
[/QUOTE]
Thank you! I went inside to get something to drink. Came back out and she’d passed what looked more like what I was expecting!
Now I have a second doe in labor! Glad I got an hour’s sleep in!

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations!! Woooohooo!! That’s sooo wonderful for you!! I’m so inspired when I see all doing it without too much trouble...makes me feel muccch more relaxed!! Goood job,,now you get to sit back and relax!!
Thank you! It is so wonderful to be able to share the excitement with fellow goat-lovers.
No rest now: second doe in labor now!

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Baby Hazel arrived safe and sound! No internal assistance needed, thank goodness!

She headbutts and tried to nurse the wrong parts of mom. I try to put her to the teat and she cries. I did squeeze a few drops of colostrum in and she smacked her lips, but didn’t “go in for more”. How long before I should syringe feed some hand-milked colostrum? I will continue to keep trying to get her to nurse, of course.
Edited to add: she has a “double teat” on one side . All three teats do have milk I’ve tried to get her to latch on both sides
CB893DED-93F3-4488-9BB3-A6B141CF7B82.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baby Hazel arrived safe and sound! No internal assistance needed, thank goodness!

She headbutts and tried to nurse the wrong parts of mom. I try to put her to the teat and she cries. I did squeeze a few drops of colostrum in and she smacked her lips, but didn’t “go in for more”. How long before I should syringe feed some hand-milked colostrum? I will continue to keep trying to get her to nurse, of course.
Edited to add: she has a “double teat” on one side . All three teats do have milk I’ve tried to get her to latch on both sides View attachment 69032
She’s a cutie. I love the name

Latest posts