My garden 😞

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, sorry, no pull with the VA, unless you mean Vegans Anonymous, ...and actually I have no pull there either.

Oh, and humping the CP's up in the truck won't put a permanent bend in them. They are as flat as Aunt Ethel when you unload them. Also, you know rain won't hurt CPs. Don't you own a raincoat? ;)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might depend on how much bend they put in 'em. The goofers that loaded mine bent them almost completely in half and tied the ends together. They never recovered and I finally took down that crooked fence and will use those panels for a hoop house. Then they can fulfill their crooked panel destiny.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might depend on how much bend they put in 'em. The goofers that loaded mine bent them almost completely in half and tied the ends together. They never recovered and I finally took down that crooked fence and will use those panels for a hoop house. Then they can fulfill their crooked panel destiny.

Those loaders should pay better attention! You just need them to bend enough to be able to shut the tailgate. None of our trucks are shortbeds. That might make a difference, but tying the ends together was a bad idea. Obviously.
The most we have transported at a time this way was 6, when we need more we take the trailer, or when I ordered 20 one time I had them delivered. Cost a little more but it was worth it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have 2 long 2x4's or 2x6's (8 ft is okay, 10 ft is better) lay them down in the truck, half way into the truck bed, slide the panels in over top of them. There will be a few feet left over for the panels, but unless you go 90 miles an hour, and through a ravine where they bounce REALLY BAD, they won't kink and you can use them. A short bed truck is what 6-6 & a half feet, then the tailgate, so at least 8 feet. 2 2x4's at 8 feet put half way in the bed will give you another 3-4 feet on the end so there will only be a few feet hanging off with no support. Have something heavy to sit on the panels up at the cab part of the bed, and use a tiedown strap or a couple of bungees to hold them tight down at the tailgate. He//, I went and got 6 hog panels, on the flat bed bale truck.... put the 2 arms down that lifts up the bales of hay only one would go under since they only squeeze together so far (hog panels are only about 39 inches not 48) and used a couple of bungee straps to hold them in place on the one arm, and came home 20 miles with at least 4 feet hanging completely off.... put a flag on the end so no one runs into them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have hauled several home over the years like @thistlebloom says. They are bowed up in the middle but the ends are 8 ft apart. I've never had a short bed full size p.u.
Put some in my little truck one time; old towels on the roof, over the cab, bungees to the stake pockets in the bed and baling twine to the front bumpers; baling twine to the tailgate arms; had the tailgate open and they came even with the cab/windshield.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He//, I went and got 6 hog panels, on the flat bed bale truck.... put the 2 arms down that lifts up the bales of hay only one would go under since they only squeeze together so far (hog panels are only about 39 inches not 48) and used a couple of bungee straps to hold them in place on the one arm, and came home 20 miles with at least 4 feet hanging completely off.... put a flag on the end so no one runs into them.
:lol: Law enforcement is supposed to be pretty lax around here, but you're trying to get me arrested, aren't you? That would be 8 ft BEYOND my tailgate, dropped down. Not sure even the "good ole boy" deputies around here could look the other way on THAT one.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the legal limit for something that hangs out the back of a vehicle? I have no clue. I just do what seems sensible, and all of our "law" doesn't seem to bother us unless it looks to be really stupid or dangerous. But we are in an area with alot of farmers and I guess they just look to make sure it is not too "crazy"...... But if there are very many then I usually take the truck and cattle trailer and get stuff loaded in it. That's an idea.... got anyone close with a cattle trailer making a trip to sell any cattle any time soon? Get them to carry the panels back on their return trip and just pay them some gas money......

Latest posts