My new llama family! (PICS)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Their halters and leads really should not be left on. I know you will have to do what you can do for now but I would suggest finding ways to work with them so that they don't permanently wear them. It will eventually rub on their face and wear off their fiber and they can end up with sores. Not to mention that since that little one is still growing, that halter will get too tight. Also they could get that lead caught on things or be an easy target for predators.

Generally, halters and leads should only be on when you want to walk them or worth with them. Then off otherwise. Once you start working with them and get used to you (and you have that catch pen), it will be easier to catch and work with them.

Good luck with them. Obviously you want to learn about them and do what is best for them since you are seeking information.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Their halters and leads really should not be left on. I know you will have to do what you can do for now but I would suggest finding ways to work with them so that they don't permanently wear them. It will eventually rub on their face and wear off their fiber and they can end up with sores. Not to mention that since that little one is still growing, that halter will get too tight. Also they could get that lead caught on things or be an easy target for predators.

Generally, halters and leads should only be on when you want to walk them or worth with them. Then off otherwise. Once you start working with them and get used to you (and you have that catch pen), it will be easier to catch and work with them.

Good luck with them. Obviously you want to learn about them and do what is best for them since you are seeking information.
I am trying so hard with them... right now (i know) the halters are temporary. Their owners before never took care of them... so they don't really like people. Tonight we caught all of them, and the black male seems the friendliest, at one point after brushing him a little, I THOUGHT he tried to kiss me. He put his face in mine. HAHA!!! He seems to be the friendliest. The momma, she is the worst right now, she does not want to be touched at all. BUT she will eat grains, which the boy didnt (his name is Kusco).... So, they are all unique and i will have to figure them all out.

I was told the momma may be bred back already. But can she be pregnant and still be nursing that little baby? I am unsure of that babies age. She's very scared too and won't take grain (she's eating hay). But I was able to pet her neck, and her back... I am still thinking of names for the girls.

Any advice you all have, id love to hear!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
They can be bred back 3 weeks after they give birth so yes she can be pregnant. Normally you would wean their cria at 6 months old.

BellLisaMo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
They can be bred back 3 weeks after they give birth so yes she can be pregnant. Normally you would wean their cria at 6 months old.
Thanks! Ok is there anyway to tell how old the baby is? By the way she acts?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
There is this GREAT self grooming product that mounts to a corner of your barn or a post...I can't remember who manufactures them, but they're just plastic strips with teeth all over them. If the brush thing worked, than those things would be fabulous and would cover more area...

They're beautiful! Congrats :)

Mo's palominos

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
helmstead said:
There is this GREAT self grooming product that mounts to a corner of your barn or a post...I can't remember who manufactures them, but they're just plastic strips with teeth all over them. If the brush thing worked, than those things would be fabulous and would cover more area...

:)
They are made by Scratch-n-all and they are great ! I highly recommend them! Every critter here loves them! I think they have a website and they're made in the USA!:D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Mo's palominos said:
helmstead said:

:)
They are made by Scratch-n-all and they are great ! I highly recommend them! Every critter here loves them! I think they have a website and they're made in the USA!:D
Personally I found the scrub brushes more economical (can get at the dollar store) and then just screw them to the wall.

You can also screw an old push broom head to a post (you'll see that one used on the Fiasco Farm website)