Mystang's Homesteading Circus

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Went out yesterday to see about mowing the lawn since it was supposed to be over of the few days without rain. Turns out my other tire is now flat. ... ..... ..... I'll, uh, come back to that another day

I did however get half the roof on for the hay equipment shed. Would have gotten all of it but my math was somehow off, which isn't suprising since I've always been terrible at math, but I didn't bring enough sheets of roofing. Maybe someone who is better at math can show me where I went wrong. To see how many sheets of metal I need to cover a roof I need to find the area of the roof which, for a rectangle, is length x width. 30ft x 10 ft = 300ft. Then I need to divide that by the amount of area which the sheets cover. The are 2ft x 8ft =16ft. 300/16= 18.75 round that off to 20 pieces. I took 21 pieces with me because I wanted to make completely sure I'd had enough so I wouldn't have to go back. That only covered half the roof. My wife said maybe it's because I have to overlap the sheets which I guess could be but I only have to overlap about 2in. I don't know. I'll bring another 10 or 20 tomorrow and go at it again.
I also finished the garden gate as well, for the most part. The hinge hole on the actual gate which slips over the lag screw gate hinge were too small so I needed to take the lag screw and grind them down. After about an hour of this they were finally small enough to fit inside the hinge hole. I went ahead and began to screw the lag bolts into the locus post that I had put in the ground. The initial hole I bored out for the lag screw was a bit too small so I took a wrench and began twist it the rest of the way in. This worked well enough until about half way through and then I had to get a cheater bar and begin again. This worked great!.... Up until the part of the bolt which slips into the hole snapped off because I had ground too much metal off. Now was the time for the pipe wrench and cheater bar to back out the lag screw I had worked so hard in getting to go into the hole. At this point I just found another lag screw that would slip into the bored out hole so I could at least hang the gate and protect my garden from the lovely Rams that were stalking me.
Why can't life ever simply be.... simple?

I've order the type of lag bolts which go completely though the post and have nuts on both sides to finish the project. I'm sure I'll have to grind those down as well but it shouldn't be that bad. (Famous last words)

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an observation....the area formula is 30'x10', but your tin is 2'x8'...that is a 2' difference and with the 2" overlap...and any overhang that ya may have....could explain your shortfall....also, when ya multiply "feet times feet", the answer is Square feet...not linear feet... :)

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're right, sq ft. :)

I'm sorry I'm slow on the uptake. The tin is 2x8. So the total sq footage would be 16sq ft right? Then I need to divide the sq footage of the building, 300 sq ft by 16 sq ft right? Always did poorly in math, suppose she hasn't helped that any lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Given the roof is 30' wide you would need 15 of the 2' wide sheets with NO side overlap but of course you do need some so figure 17 sheets to cover the top 8' of roof with 2" overlap. Then you need more to cover the extra 2' of roof "depth". But you probably have some overhang, let's say a nice 1' overhang and a 1' overlap between the upper and lower pieces. Thus you need to cut 9 more sheets in half to get 2 pieces 2' x 4' from each. Seems like 26 sheets would do it.

If you have to resort to a cheater bar, the pilot hole was too small :D You should be able to twist them in just by using a box end wrench over the "hook". There isn't a lot of lateral pull on them when the gate is hanging.

And yes I wouldn't bother with the hooks that screw into the wood even though they come with a new gate. I got the through bolt type. Why? Because they are infinitely adjustable. Things shift and the gate gets unsquare. Loosen the nut on one side and tighten the nut on the other side and you can square the gate up again. You can move the gate toward or away from the gate and strike posts as needed. Instead of filing down the "pin" on the bolt hooks, see if you can't find one the proper diameter as they do come in several sizes. It would be better to replace the clamps on the gate than file the hooks.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Everything done with the hay equipment shed except for trying to put silicone in the holes which were already in the roof (it was a previously used tin roof) and need a few more pieces on the side.
20200523_173134.jpg

Had a good storm blow through right after we finished putting the roof on. Strong winds enough to blow over an apple tree. Roof is still there though. Monday we'll try to finish it up.