ND Losing Fur- Any Vet Recommendations for N. TX?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would look into some better minerals. Kelp is great but it is better as a supplement than as a daily mineral.
If you are feeding a lot of alfalfa and feeds high in calcium then you run into the issue of depleting zinc. As calcium at higher levels depletes zinc.
Copper is as you know really important. Cobalt is essential as well.

You may find this link very useful. You can look up your county and see your averages. Of course WHERE you get your hay from is also a factor- so look at those areas as well.
https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/countydata.htm

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would look into some better minerals. Kelp is great but it is better as a supplement than as a daily mineral.
If you are feeding a lot of alfalfa and feeds high in calcium then you run into the issue of depleting zinc. As calcium at higher levels depletes zinc.
Copper is as you know really important. Cobalt is essential as well.

You may find this link very useful. You can look up your county and see your averages. Of course WHERE you get your hay from is also a factor- so look at those areas as well.
https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/countydata.htm

Okay! I used to give the Manna Pro loose minerals and might still have some on hand. Yes! I copper bolus mine twice a year sometimes thrice if they look like they need it. I gave one of my does the cobalt bolus last year and she did improve on it. Those things are huge though. :eek: I don’t give a whole lot of alfalfa- a big handful for each doe several times a week.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. <3

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The manna pro is a good mineral but we switched a long time ago. They have to list cobalt because they technically have it in the bag, but notice it is just in the ingredients- there is no real value listed. Long term we realized it just wasn't doing it for us.
We don't give the cobalt bolus. Too big and my concern is if it breaks open before lodging in the correct place for slow release there is high potential for toxicity.

We tried sweetlix mineral but the goats hated it.
We ended up with a cattle mineral because it was better for zinc and cobalt and copper and selenium. LOL

We have some knuckleheads that just refuse all mineral even though they need it. We use different things for them but redcell helps- but we are high iron so we have to be cautious.

We now have trucare for our bucks-they refuse all mineral so we top dress.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...itemguid=7ddaa754-7c64-422b-9422-21f6dcb47fd6

This is Southern States Weathershed 2 : 1 cattle mineral
Capture.PNG weathershed mineral tag.PNG

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The manna pro is a good mineral but we switched a long time ago. They have to list cobalt because they technically have it in the bag, but notice it is just in the ingredients- there is no real value listed. Long term we realized it just wasn't doing it for us.
We don't give the cobalt bolus. Too big and my concern is if it breaks open before lodging in the correct place for slow release there is high potential for toxicity.

We tried sweetlix mineral but the goats hated it.
We ended up with a cattle mineral because it was better for zinc and cobalt and copper and selenium. LOL

We have some knuckleheads that just refuse all mineral even though they need it. We use different things for them but redcell helps- but we are high iron so we have to be cautious.

We now have trucare for our bucks-they refuse all mineral so we top dress.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...itemguid=7ddaa754-7c64-422b-9422-21f6dcb47fd6

This is Southern States Weathershed 2 : 1 cattle mineral
View attachment 59716

I recall wondering about that when I bought it but didn’t think it was a big deal. Makes sense now. I’ll look to see what we’ve got for cattle minerals around here to see if they’ve got anything good.

Haha! Goats! It’s frustrating when they won’t eat what they need or fight you on it. My goats can be dorky like that with treats- they’re just not convinced that they’re good. LOL

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Question about treating Baby Girl with the permethrin: is that a one time application and then retreat a few weeks later according to the instructions?

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update!!

After Baby Girl's two diluted Permethrin treatments, she is looking great. Her fur is growing back on her muzzle and ears. I'm so happy! Thank y'all so much!! <3

I'm sorry the photos aren't super great and, yes, I caught her chewing cud. Hehe
IMG-0593.JPGIMG-0588.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't you love this place! We are in Lindale, our vet is not a sheep vet, but he studies, looks it up on the computer and makes phone calls to confirm his diagnosis. Sometimes the best you can do is to find one that is at least willing to work with you. If you can't find a vet, look in the more rural areas, city vets usually only want to mess with pets.