New to the group

ScarletBegonias

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve recently acquired 3 Nigerian dwarf goats, 1 doe, her doeling and the sire who is now a weather and 4 chickens. My husband grew up on a ranch breeding horses and raised pigs and a show Charolais bull. I however am very new to all of this having only had dogs my whole life. We’ve had the goats for three months now and I love them. I am ready to breed my doe now that her kid is seven months old and fully weened. Hoping to have fresh milk for my children in the spring. I have lots of questions about breeding and kidding so I’m grateful for this group.

Athena2344

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Have you found a buck to breed her or both of them yet? You may want to also think about when you want the baby born, for example I have a pair of breeding show angora goats and they should have bred sometime between August 31 and the last day of September, however after someone in the school barn brought over an older billy, I discovered that she had a false pregnancy as she went into her early last week. So after seeing my billy (george Clooney) successfully mount my nanny (Dolly Parton) several times I'm now expecting an early summer kid versus an early spring kid. After finding a buck and determining when you want to breed your doe, she will go into heat roughly between 1-3 days after being introduced to him and when she is in standing heat (when he mounts her without her running away) make sure to keep an eye on them and watch for at least 1 or 2 successful mountings, then expect a baby about 155 days later

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome.
Grateful Dead fan I presume?

You will want to add a location of some kind to your profile...other people will be along shortly to remind you again.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

As GB said above, Here I am to remind you, and tell you how to: PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH. I usually like to try to have my pygmy doe's kid in late March or early April. I am in the process now of getting them all bred.I have been waiting until my youngest were 9 months old. I am from west Tn and we some times have snow or ice in late Feb. This year's kids were born Feb 28 and March 14. I will hopefully have 4 doe's kid this season.

ScarletBegonias

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have you found a buck to breed her or both of them yet? You may want to also think about when you want the baby born, for example I have a pair of breeding show angora goats and they should have bred sometime between August 31 and the last day of September, however after someone in the school barn brought over an older billy, I discovered that she had a false pregnancy as she went into her early last week. So after seeing my billy (george Clooney) successfully mount my nanny (Dolly Parton) several times I'm now expecting an early summer kid versus an early spring kid. After finding a buck and determining when you want to breed your doe, she will go into heat roughly between 1-3 days after being introduced to him and when she is in standing heat (when he mounts her without her running away) make sure to keep an eye on them and watch for at least 1 or 2 successful mountings, then expect a baby about 155 days later

Yes, we just borrowed a buck from the girl we bought our goats from. Hoping for spring babies, when it isn’t too cold and not very hot yet. We had planned to keep him for three weeks as I’m not quite sure when she goes into heat. As soon as we brought him in the barn they mated three times in the first 5 minutes. Maybe she was in heat already? The next day she had no interest in him. I was going to keep him for the full three weeks just to be sure but somehow no matter how we arrange it they manage to bust open the stall with our wether and doeling in it. She’s only 7 months old so I didn’t want her to get pregnant until May but it might be too late for that. Trying to keep them separated has been very challenging so I might take him back early.

ScarletBegonias

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome.
Grateful Dead fan I presume?

You will want to add a location of some kind to your profile...other people will be along shortly to remind you again.

Thank you. Yes I am a fan of the Dead :- ) and one of my dogs is named Scarlet after the song so I’ve been using her name for years. I am in Montana, I just added it to my profile :- )

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
In my somewhat limited experience, if the doe stands for the buck, especially multiple times like that, she is indeed in heat, receptive, and you can pretty much expect he got the job done. Especially if he has no further interest in her or her in him afterwards. :) Here's hoping you have some spring kids! :fl