Nueral Tube Defect - no tail - Pics pg. 1 Vet results, pg. 3

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I never thought to check a kid to see if it had a tail / twee twee / anus before.....She ate fine, acts fine, is up walking around...
When I went to check this kid to see if she'd pooped, I couldn't find it's tail.

I look closer and there's an opening but I'm not sure if it's an anus, vulva, or penis.

Unfortunately we'll be putting 'it' down tomorrow. The vet is going to let me know what he thinks after he's done some reading / examined it.
And...Patch was never given Valbazen during her pregnancy. The lady I bought her from told me she aborted last year, though. Hmmmmmmm.

Her sister seems / looks normal.

This is it's 'butt' - no tail

notail3.jpg

The 'opening' - seen from behind

notail2.jpg

The 'opening' again, seen from the belly.

notail1.jpg

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:hugs

Sometimes deformities just happen.

I'll be interested in what the vet has to say.

Some questions for you:

Was Patch ever sick during her pregnancy? Ever have a fever during?

I can't remember...was she bred to one of your bucks or was she bought bred?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a doe that has kidded twice, both times had triplets, first time, she had two badly deformed kids and second time she had one badly deformed kid. Had to pull babies both time. This will be her 3rd time being bred, We gave her a copper bolus this spring, and by the amount of minerals I am going through, doesn't seem likely that anyone should be deficient this year, if that was even the problem. This will be her 3rd and final chance. She is going on 4 years old.

MenagerieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry to see this. :( This is an eye opening reality for a newbie like me who can't wait to get into breeding. My mind seems to think only of birthing difficulties, not necessarily birth defects! Please keep us posted when you hear from your vet. I'm trying to learn everything I possibly can to better prepare myself. As heartbreaking as this is, I truly appreciate you sharing this with us.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I guess its not much consolation, but this is a tremendous learning opportunity for us newbs. Thank you for sharing. I would imagine that its not a pleasant thing for you to have to do.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this difficult and educational experience with us.

Does she have elimination organs at all? It doesn't look like she has any way to eliminate or deficate.

That is so sad, to be doomed from birth. Putting her down is the right thing to do, eventually she will be in pain. I am so sorry.

She also looks like she has an extra teat "nub" so you wouldn't have kept her anyways.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Right now she's peeing out her cord, which is what they do in the womb. I imagine that would keep it wet and keep it from closing properly - and open her up for infection -if it went on for long.

I'm curious to see if the 'thing' she has is male, female, or the anus. I'm thinking if it was 'female' she'd be peeing out it. Could be she'll poop out it and could 'live', but we're going to put her down anyway.

I'd take her to the vet today but he's 30 min. away and I have to be at work in....36 minutes. I'm going to feed her again tonight (I can't let her 'suffer' feeling hungry) as long as she's still perky / acting like she's hungry. If she seems to be in pain, I'm going to have DH put her down tonight.
My vet is anxious to learn what he can about goats, that helps a lot. He's only been out 3 yrs but is great.

Patch went bald last summer, he said she had staph dermatitis or something (I'd have to look in that thread about her and Penny and I don't have time) and she was on Pen G for a week, then cleared up / got her fur back. I also treated her w/ selenium, copper, vitamin E, and Zinc in case it was a deficiency sooooo???

Literally hundreds of kids born here, this was our first 'major' birth defect..... it had to happen sooner or later....odds say so.

Still stinks, though. :(

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does the vet want to do a necropsy? To see what was really going on with the kid? Sorry that it happened, I hope the other kid is healthy and robust, and the doe doesn't have any more kids with issues.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. It stinks when it happens. Like you said, when you are in livestock long enough, you see a lot and it is bound to happen. Have to admit that necropsy results would be really cool to hear.