Nutrition and condition discussion

PJisaMom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is salt and lots of other great stuff. Will type whole onyx label in a bit. Was just trying to compare what was out there compared to the tub.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
PJisaMom said:
There is salt and lots of other great stuff. Will type whole onyx label in a bit. Was just trying to compare what was out there compared to the tub.
I mean is there salt in the tub?

I have the Onyx label, but I am sure others would be interested.

PJisaMom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
PJisaMom said:
I mean is there salt in the tub?

I have the Onyx label, but I am sure others would be interested.
The information from the EnergiLass was directly from the Kent website... there was no mention of salt, only what was listed.

For those who are interested in the Onyx label (because I can't find it online anywhere - but did read somewhere that it may vary by region, so read up!):

"Calcium 13-15%
Phosphorus min 8%
Salt 14-16%
Sodium 5.3%-6.3%
Magnesium min 2%
Potassium min 1%
Copper min 2500ppm
Iodine min 200ppm
Selenium min 26ppm
Zinc min 5000ppm
Vit A min 100,000 IU/lb
Vit D min 10,000 IU/lb
Vit E min 100 IU/lb

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Selenium Yeast, Processed Grain By-products, Animal Fat, Molasses Products, Vegetable Oil, Mineral Oil.

Cargill Onyx: This mineral is designed to be fed to beef cattle on mature or dormant pasture or harvested forages with lower than normal trace mineral availability. "

Another thing I wanted to ask you all about is the deal with Kelp... I have some Kelp meal that I put out once in a while and the goaties will literally fight to the death over it. I know many use it as a top-dress or mix it into their feed rations, but anyone ever offer it free-choice? (It's expensive, but I don't really see how my goats wouldn't end up gorging themselves on it as they are fighting over it from the second they hear me open the container I keep it in... they are literally jumping at the gate and demanding for it to be brought out.) Can they OD on kelp?
;)

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As a follow up to Kate's gorgeous doe on page 16- here is one of our milkers. She freshened for the first time in January. I haven't rebred her yet. To me she's in good condition for a lactating doe, but I'll want some more flesh on her before late gestation.

11-6.jpg

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
She is so glossy and raven black!! My black girlie, Velvet, is just as her name implies, more velveteen looking. Matter of a fact, she's clipped up because I THINK we're taking her to show dry next weekend - I'll get a new pic!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Let's see that gorgeous Velvet! Yes, LC is the shiniest goat I own. I half expected her coat to dull down a bit when I washed her yesterday since it strips the oils, but lo and behold she was even glossier! A little dry brushing and some pro-sheen and we're aces for the show tomorrow. Here's a pic after her I got her completely fitted yesterday. I just love black goats!

21.jpg

Edited to add: Pie's coat is like that. Very open and velvety; not dull but never sleek and tight against the body. Interesting how different coat textures can be!

And, so as not to completely change the subject... LC is in what I would consider *ideal* condition for a lactating doe. :)

PJisaMom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
PJisaMom said:
Another thing I wanted to ask you all about is the deal with Kelp... I have some Kelp meal that I put out once in a while and the goaties will literally fight to the death over it. I know many use it as a top-dress or mix it into their feed rations, but anyone ever offer it free-choice? (It's expensive, but I don't really see how my goats wouldn't end up gorging themselves on it as they are fighting over it from the second they hear me open the container I keep it in... they are literally jumping at the gate and demanding for it to be brought out.) Can they OD on kelp?
;)
anyone?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I would imagine that, just like the loose minerals, they would EVENTUALLY self regulate the kelp - but most everyone I know who uses kelp uses it as a top dress.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, when all I could find were 'cow' minerals, I tried one of those compressed goat blocks. I put it in the feeder in their stall and went to work. I came home and it was GONE. I thought, "Wow...the goats really loved that thing." I had 10 at the time.

I found out it was Razor, our LGD....ate the darn thing and had the NASTIEST case of the poos I've seen in a dog since our wolf hybrid got into some milk replacer back in 1999.

(YES, I had replacer...I raised a lamb on it many moons ago...lol)

Razor had one big hunk of it left and was guarding it from the goats w/ his life...in between bowel movements, that is. Poor fella.

The tubs are meant to give protein and a little mineral supplement to 'range' animals...those that are not getting any feed, only pasture.

Completely unecessary for anyone giving grain / good hay, IMHO.

Range animals should still be given loose mineral, even w/ a protein tub, they're a supplement, not meant as the be-all, end-all to supply all mineral needs.

We have some sheep farmers at our TSC who buy 10 of those protein tubs every year a mo. before lambing season, to 'build up' their ewes for lambing. A lot of cattle farmers buy them before calving.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We only pasture from May until November,so we are gong to try a couple tubs this summer.