Nutrition and condition discussion

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
kelp can be given free choice. It's how Pat Colby (Raising Goats Naturally) recommends giving it. I was top dressing it (1 Tbsp. per day) and then I put it out free choice for them - they don't touch it at all. I may go back to top dressing.

PJisaMom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
kelp can be given free choice. It's how Pat Colby (Raising Goats Naturally) recommends giving it. I was top dressing it (1 Tbsp. per day) and then I put it out free choice for them - they don't touch it at all. I may go back to top dressing.
That's so interesting to me... I've been offering it *almost* every day for the past 8 weeks or so... they consume the entire amount within 5 minutes (I put out about a 1/2 cup+ or so for five goats - 2 Alpine wethers and 3 ND), and ALL with a massive fight over it. Even the little girls will head butt the snot out of their mom over it. It's like candy to them. And the dog wants to eat some, too, but the goats get it all first....

hmmmmm....

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Still having trouble getting weight on one of my ff's who had triplets about a month ago. Her mom, who had triplets too, has gained all her weight back nicely and is looking great. Another doe, an Alpine, has also gained a lot of weight back after twins....she is my bigger producer, too, and is giving a gallon a day. She needs a bit more but is gaining noticeably.

Peach took a major hit with those triplets. She is a picky eater anyways and has topped out at about 8 cups of grain divided into two feedings. At first she would only eat about 2 cups per feeding. I added a half cup of sunflower seeds to each meal and any veg scraps, averaging a cup or two a day. Finally she is up to 8 and lately her appetite is increasing so I hope to get her a bit higher.

I found three bales of last year's alfalfa at a horse farm where I have clients and have been shaking the flakes out into a tub so she can have the pure leaf. The others get the stems. :p

In the past week, due to her sudden increased interest in food....did I mention she had to have a round of Pen G because I had to dig around inside and untangle those triplets with Helmstead's help......I have increased her sunflower seeds to 2-3 cups a day and have convinced her to let me add some alfalfa pellets. If I mix the alfalfa in with her grain, she won't finish it. So I add the pellets a bit at a time after she is done with her grain/BOSS/veggies. I'm creating a princess! Well, they are all princesses in my heart, who am I trying to kid.

Can someone tell me if there is a limit to the amount of sunflower seeds that it is safe to feed? She loves them and today I noticed a patch of hair on her back that has gotten a tad darker and very sleek.

And what about adding a bit of corn? Is this safe? How much? She loves it. I feed soaked/sprouted oats to my gals, but whole corn to the poultry, and I use whole corn in tiny amounts as treats for the goats. I know too much corn can cause niacin deficiency.

I can't dry her off until the kids are weaned, although they are being bottle fed. She and her mother are feeding them. She gives maybe two quarts a day....not sure, as I milk her and her mom into the same bucket with a machine. She has the cutest little udder and is a dream to handle. I hope to get her gaining so I don't have to dry her off. But time is running out.

She is a walking skeleton but otherwise healthy. No worms. Bright-eyed and bushy tailed!

I did start adding a third feeding, but can't be consistent with it due to my varied work schedule. So that extra snack is about 2 cups oats and a cup of sunflower seeds.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't know about goats but I do know that a lot of sunflower seeds killed some alpacas. The former owner of a property left the bag of BOSS against the alpaca fence to make sure the current owner was feeding the birds. Needless to say, the alpacas got curious and got into the bag. The ones that ate a lot ended up dying.

What about calf manna and/or beet pulp?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
She won't eat beet pulp (I feed it to the others when veggies aren't available) and I won't feed soy, especially to breeding animals. It contains powerful hormone disruptors that seem to increase production but later decrease fertility and cause other problems. Calf manna is mostly soy.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We add corn to or nursing does. The does get 3 cups of grain a day, up to 1 cup of rolled/cracked corn and 1 cup of dried beet pulp. Some of them don't like the beet pulp, but they all love the corn.

If she fills up on corn she may not eat the grain, so I would start out with only 1/4 cup.

Would she like a top dress on her feed, this would be expensive but we have had good luck with ensure on our show goats feed.

We worked our 80 to 100lb show whethers up to I can a day for a while, Man did they get shiney, too bad I can't afford to feed everyone like that.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
What is special about rice bran or the oil? That is different from any other oil? Sorry, I get a bit suspicious when a manufacturing byproduct is packaged and marketed......wanna see some reasons why this is a desirable additive. Not being snippy, just want some logic.

I added a half cup of corn tonight, much to Peach's delight. We got some restaurant scraps for the pigs, and it a large box of gorgeous baby salad greens, there were several pounds of carrot peelings and ends. Peach is getting the lionesses share of these.