Our LGD Journey

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can see that with the foundation and g1, g2 pups, but after selectively breeding for 4 or 5 generations, I am wondering how much of a gamble it would be. Especially since all of the foundation dogs are purebred LGD dogs.

I think it's interesting what they are trying to create with dogs that are specifically suited to smaller properties that don't roam as much and are good with poultry/farm visitors/etc.
Here is the standard. https://coloradomountaindogs.com/coloradomountaindogstandard

They are open about the fact that their dogs are mixed, unlike the "bearded retriever club" Which I appreciate.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is the standard. https://coloradomountaindogs.com/coloradomountaindogstandard

They are open about the fact that their dogs are mixed, unlike the "bearded retriever club" Which I appreciate.
Bearded retriever club? Haha - that's a new one for me (which I will now google). lol

I joined the CMD Facebook group and have been impressed by them overall. Not getting one in the immediate future, but definitely going to follow their progress and think on it a bit more. Surprised that painted canvas farms isn't OFA, but I know there are widely varied opinions about OFA both positive and negative.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bearded retriever club? Haha - that's a new one for me (which I will now google). lol
It will make you laugh for sure. They are trying to make a golden x poodle a "breed" With lots of negative push-back from just about everybody. LOL!

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It will make you laugh for sure. They are trying to make a golden x poodle a "breed" With lots of negative push-back from just about everybody. LOL!
I must live under a rock because I had never heard of them. 😂 Are they like goldendoodles?

In general, I don't purposefully choose crosses. Have adopted our fair share of them over the years. I like that the CMD are "theoretically" bred for a purpose. I'd love to hear from owners who have 4th and 5th generation to know whether the dogs are turning out as they'd hoped.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I must live under a rock because I had never heard of them. 😂 Are they like goldendoodles?
It is a goldendoodle. They are trying to make them a breed. Stupidest standard I've ever read.🙄
The AKC and UKC is very against all doodle breeding and so is the poodle club of america.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cross breeding has become trendy.

I prefer to find a purebred dog with the traits that I want rather than a crossbred whose traits might go one way or the other. And definitely buy from breeders who do OFA and elbows, as well as other genetic tests that might be specific to the breed. These days you can look the dog's OFA score up online if you have the number. Reputable breeders will give you the information.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cross breeding has become trendy.

I prefer to find a purebred dog with the traits that I want rather than a crossbred whose traits might go one way or the other. And definitely buy from breeders who do OFA and elbows, as well as other genetic tests that might be specific to the breed. These days you can look the dog's OFA score up online if you have the number. Reputable breeders will give you the information.
I am not interested in trendy. :) And don't believe that's the intention behind CMD, but rather functionality.

I'd love a maremma pup from prancing pony in CA, which checks all boxes, but they're out of reach for me.

So for now we wait.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This coyote was tossing bunnies around in our back pasture this week. The dogs knew he was there and he knew they were there. He was likely last year's pup as he was small, playful and didn't have the coat I've seen on some of the larger coyotes. Also somewhat unusual to see them at midday around here, but it happens.

Screenshot_20220129-110455_Blue Iris.jpg

Screenshot_20220129-110444_Blue Iris.jpg

Screenshot_20220129-110450_Blue Iris.jpg

Meanwhile, the ice storm hit us with a short tail end of snow. The dogs enjoyed the snow for the most part, but Annie is slightly limping again on that back leg from time to time, which I suppose is her old injury flaring. Is it the cold temperatures or all of the playing and chasing? - I don't know. She makes full use of both back knees and the vet says nothing is wrong so we will watch her. *sigh* We do love them dearly, but wish they didn't have to deal with the struggles they have.
20220204_083028.jpg

@Ridgetop whichever dog we choose next, which may very well be a purebred, we will do everything we can to avoid the kind of problems we've had with these two, for what is possible. Meanwhile I hope my story will be helpful to someone else.