Our LGD Journey

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cross breeding has become trendy.

I prefer to find a purebred dog with the traits that I want rather than a crossbred whose traits might go one way or the other. And definitely buy from breeders who do OFA and elbows, as well as other genetic tests that might be specific to the breed. These days you can look the dog's OFA score up online if you have the number. Reputable breeders will give you the information.
Finding OFA scores is easier than that nowadays! All you have to type in is the kennel name and boom! You get all of their dogs all at once. Very handy.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Finding OFA scores is easier than that nowadays! All you have to type in is the kennel name and boom! You get all of their dogs all at once. Very handy.
I can't seem to find any maremmas in OFA, but I am sure I'm doing it wrong. I did find Painted Canvas Farms' Chuck Norris though (maybe searching Painted Canvas, maybe PCF - can't remember). I know Prancing Pony OFA tests her maremmas, and tried to do a breed search as maybe there is someone closer? Any suggestions on finding a breeder within a certain breed?

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any maremmas in OFA, but I am sure I'm doing it wrong. I did find Painted Canvas Farms' Chuck Norris though (maybe searching Painted Canvas, maybe PCF - can't remember). I know Prancing Pony OFA tests her maremmas, and tried to do a breed search as maybe there is someone closer? Any suggestions on finding a breeder within a certain breed?
AKC marketplace and Gooddog are good in a pinch. But ALWAYS double check websites and OFA.

If they only have one or two dogs registered about of the (for example) 10 or 12 they breed, run the other way.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
AKC marketplace and Gooddog are good in a pinch. But ALWAYS double check websites and OFA.

If they only have one or two dogs registered about of the (for example) 10 or 12 they breed, run the other way.
Sorry, I missed this, but can you tell me why that would be a red flag. I am not disagreeing at all, just would like to understand the reason.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, in the space of 24 hours we've been offered not one, but TWO dogs.

My brother called Sunday afternoon and said his pet GP "Moose" has dug out so many times this week that his neck is oozing from the e-fence collar zaps and could they bring him over to us for a bit while they figure out what to do about their fence situation.

Here he is being shown his 8x8 doghouse with yellow stuff he isn't sure what to think of on the floor after reminding himself how hotwire works, poor guy.
20220327_201007.jpg

His first day was pretty stressful for him, repeatedly testing out the fence before deciding the dog house was plenty warm, but he sat in there all night with his eyes open. He was here last summer for a bit in a different softer area that we've since torn down in preparation for building a small barn. In that time, he tussled with Annie who put him on the ground in about a second flat, twice her weight or not lol, chased chickens, but did take out a possum and has 0 tolerance for intruders. In his suburban life he has chased off bobcats, deer, and coyotes and is an outstanding protector of their family. This time he's being crabby with Shep also, but the working instinct is strong with this one still, in spite of living in suburbia since he left his farm as a pup 3 years ago. Too bad he doesn't get along with our dogs or we would have already adopted him and tried working on the chicken chasing or let him have the perimeter to keep the coyotes out.
20220327_175318.jpg

Meanwhile, the farm Shep came from has to part with their goats and all of their dogs and we were offered his dad. His dad is steady, not a barker, gorgeous, and has lived a working dog life his whole life. He's been the gold standard that we've tried to raise Shep to become and is an outstanding pack leader. I don't have any of my own pictures of him to share, but hopefully soon. He's also 30 or so lbs lighter than Moose, which is more compatible with our two in size. He's the leader of his fairly large pack and does an outstanding job of it. My question is this: how can we introduce this strong leader to our strong leader (Annie) to give them the best possible chances to become a working team?

I am not worried about Shep; he will want to play and likely just roll over and wag his tail with his dad as he does with Moose. Annie is a force to be reckoned with but although she likes to be the boss, some of her body language tells me she knows she needs help and Shep isn't able to do what she needs. Is it a bad idea to get an adult instead of a puppy?

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Putting a strong female with a strong male , in my opinion for what it’s worth, will work out. There may be a power struggle to start with, but I think they will sort it out and Annie will take second place to Moose. You can introduce them with a fence between them for a few days, then put both on a leash and walk them together for a few more days, then put them together. By that time you should be able to tell if they will be able to get along.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Putting a strong female with a strong male , in my opinion for what it’s worth, will work out. There may be a power struggle to start with, but I think they will sort it out and Annie will take second place to Moose. You can introduce them with a fence between them for a few days, then put both on a leash and walk them together for a few more days, then put them together. By that time you should be able to tell if they will be able to get along.
Would you choose Moose over Shep's dad? I think we did it wrong initially last summer, but Annie and Moose were fighting through the fence. Being a male and female pair, I'd hoped for a good result, but Annie is feisty and Moose was stubbornly growling at her just to see her spark, I think. lol

Last edited:

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed this, but can you tell me why that would be a red flag. I am not disagreeing at all, just would like to understand the reason.
It means they are breeding dogs and not health testing them. Red flag.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would you choose Moose over Shep's dad? I think we did it wrong initially last summer, but Annie and Moose were fighting through the fence. Being a male and female pair, I'd hoped for a good result, but Annie is feisty and Moose was stubbornly growling at her just to see her spark, I think. lol
Going back and reading it again, I meant Sheep’s dad, but I said Moose. Shep’s dad sounds like a dream dog. Absolutely Shep’s dad!

Latest posts