Peteyfoozer’s Journey (because journaling’s not enough)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know what they want for her... but her front toes on both claws are too long, and she has poor angle to the hoof... both front and back that I can see. Some could be the long toes/claws... but for 5 years old it is concerning. Dew claws look like she is an older animal than 5.
Just my observations only.

Why not milk the nurse cow... get her mastitis cleared up in the quarter, which is most likely from lack of being sucked... and milk 2 quarters for house milk? With only 1 calf she is obviously producing too much.... the calf might be able to utilize milk from 2 quarters at most for awhile at least. That will give you milk for the house... ought to be good butterfat as most angus are 4-5% so being part jersey you will be getting good butterfat... and this will tell you if you have it in you to take on a cow again with the current physical situation you have.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @farmerjan !
I appreciate your knowledge and input.

I’m talking myself out of it.
Nurse cow belongs to the boss so I won’t be able to milk her.
I just miss my raw milk and all the things I used to do.
I’m not accepting limitations very gracefully, but I’m gonna have to learn how.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If nurse cow only has one calf, and boss is not milking her to prevent mastitis, why would they care if you milked her some? Why did you milk her to start with ? and discovered the mastitis? I would certainly not want my nurse cow to get mastitis and lose a quarter.... But that's just me....

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree it would be better for her to milk her.
But he will have his DIL clear her, then they will kick her out somewhere on the 250,000 acres until there’s another leppie and assume her milk will just BE there, in a healthy udder..their thing is beef. They BUY eggs 4 hr away in town instead of having chickens, we have the only veggie garden here, and purchase all their consumables, dairy, cheese, bread, etc except for beef.
I don’t get it, but I am persona non grata here. Just glad I can at least have some of my own critters.
I know I got no business with a cow.
If my head would just stand up to my heart, things would go so much better for me!
I thank God for all of you, for talking me down outta the tree.
…I wonder if any of those Royal White lambs are still around…

My peach pie was good last night.
If my rigor mortis clears up, I might have to make some more ice cream…

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to be the fly in the ointment, and make this comment. Your bosses might be beef cattle people, but if they do not believe in taking better care of their nurse cow and her udder, then I don't think much of them as cattlemen in general. Having a nurse cow is a blessing on most beef ranches/farms... and a good cattleman(woman) takes care of them because they take care of the orphans... That means taking time to see to it that they do not have udder problems. Sorry for the negative comment, but that is just how I see it. They may make their living at running beef cattle, but for an example, there is a farmer in western BC that runs 700-1000 head beef cows, calves them, and buys additional feeder calves and even some breds here and there... and they have several nurse cows that they graft calves on, mostly twins; he does his own vet work to the point of even capable of doing his own c-sections when needed... and sells his feeder calves at some big sales for VERY GOOD prices... taking care of EVERY aspect of his operation along with his wife and a couple of other hired help.... He drives 5-8 hours to stock sales regularly... they are off grid and all that... so taking care of a nurse cow properly to me is just something you JUST DO.

I am not happy with some of what my DS has neglected this past year... not getting calves off cows when they should be... and we have had some words about the lack of attention paid to detail... no place is perfect... but they have no excuse if you are willing to milk the cow some...

Okay, rant over....

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan you’ll get no argument from me!
I firmly agree on every point.
But my hands are tied. I loan my milker to them to use. Hopefully I will get it back someday, and clean, but will probably never use it again myself. Too much here is disposable. Cows, horses, dogs and me.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe I’m crazy but I am thanking God today for the pain because ut helps me stop “wanting”
This morning reminds me why I can never have another cow…or any of the other things I so enjoyed that are no longer with me.
I’m overwhelmed and unable to manage anything besides getting the sourdough boule from Sunday out of the oven. Then my day is pretty much done. I will give thanks for Boone’s company and hope for relief in sleep.
Somehow I have to get up and dressed early tomorrow morning as we go to town for another procedure for Randy.
Grateful for this wonderful man, my sweet dogs and for Mister. I don’t get to see him much, but I love him and knowing he is out in the corral brings me great comfort.
So, since I can no longer have all those great experiences, I will relive them in my mind. What a great life I have had ❤️ A lot of it was definitely good enough for re-runs!

IMG_8385.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may not have or be able to have what you once had, and definitely will always have that in your heart. Yeah - you can hear the "but" --- ;)
You have a new adventure -- wish the pain wasn't part of it -- but the adventure with Boone and being able to see the beauty of the ranch around you, the rabbits, Mister in the corral, and all of the wonderful baking of the sourdough that you do, along with the crafts that you can do when the pain is less. You power through things that others let get them down. Give that Boone an extra snuggle for me because he is the one leading you into the new adventure, the new part of your life.