Please tell me about Coyotes

Lenny&Squiggy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, they're in a pen inside another fence. 4 -5 feet tall (depends which neighbor it borders) and secured for them not escaping around the bottom, but I'm guessing a coyote would have no trouble getting over. We're considering the hot wire. :) Thanks!

GentlemanFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
lightson.JPG
I'm in San Diego. I have a six foot high orchard fence with three strands of barbed wire on top around my property. I lost 26 chickens over a six month period when I was briefly without a large dog. One day I went home for lunch and saw a coyote eating one of my silkies. I yelled and made noise but it just watched me as it kept eating. I went back inside, grabbed a pellet gun, went back outside, and shot it. It stood up with what was left of the chicken, trotted to the fence, and went over it with no trouble. Front paws hit top wire and launched itself over in one smooth motion. Finished eating the chicken in the field next door about 200 yards away. I have passion fruit growing on one section of this fence, I have seen coyotes balancing on top weighing options...hmm can I get that chicken and get back over the fence before the dogs know what's going on? A couple have tried but the Pyr is very fast to respond when a chicken alerts.

That pen wouldn't keep my coyotes out. It just serves the goats up nicely by containing them in a small area, no big chase. Two fences will help as it's more work & risk for coyote, close proximity to house might help, and lights might help. It really just depends on how much pressure you have in your area. We have large packs (plural) in the area most nights, and they tend to roam solo by day.

I would guess that you are ok though. Some people have suggested talk radio for the human voice; no idea if it helps and I haven't tried it.

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lenny and Squiggy,
Don't get too worked up. You live in the city limits of Raleigh. Yes, there are coyotes there, i've seen them squashed by cars by RDU. But, your biggest threat is dogs. Don't trust your neighbors Snauzer too much. When he brings the squeaky toy over, he is probably dreaming about having your goat in his mouth. I know my Cockapoo Buddy would sure love to get a hold of one of ours.
Make sure your exterior fence is secure. If you put some hot wire around the interior pen, you have done about all you can do, short of getting a LGD, which might cause your neighbors some heart burn if he is a barker.

bnttyra

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We do have a coyote problem here, just lost my rooster to one about a month ago. We have lost barn cats, dogs, chickens, neighbor's have lost calves. We shoot on site when we can but for the most part,keep the animals in safe contained areas. We have the fencing for the chickens down in the ground about 18 inches as coyotes will dig and we have a top of chicken wire across the top as coyotes will climb fences. You should be ok as it doesn't sound like those coyotes will be working that hard to get to your goats, more likely eating the stray cats in the area if anything.

doodlelover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Florida, but a friend of mine that has goats and lives in the country, all she has is lights out and has no problem with predators. I'm doing the same.