1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Threads - First Time Lambing Question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Possum problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rammy, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Apr 12, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

they like dog food as well as cat food.

calfcoon_008.JPG

dog_004.JPG

Rammy likes this.
  2. Apr 12, 2018
    MiniSilkys

MiniSilkys Overrun with beasties

same here but with my cats instead. The longest I've ever had any was 4 years. The possums around here never bother anything. I worry about raccoons instead.

Rammy likes this.
  3. Apr 13, 2018
    Rammy

Rammy Loving the herd life

Ive had cats disappear but I dont think it was from a 4 legged predator but a 2 legged one. I have seen possums mostly, raccoons, coyotes, feral dogs. I have cameras on the house, and mind you I live in Tn, but I swear I saw a mountain lion going thru my pasture one night. It was HUGE. Definitely a cat by the way it walked and the long tail. There have been reports of them moving back into the state and several neighbors had told me they have seen a black panther like cat in the area. One lady even has bobcats on her game camera set up by one of her ponds. All we need now are wolves.........

Rammy

4. Apr 14, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

I wish I had a dollar for every 'black panther' stories I've heard just in the state of Texas.

If one were to take every sighting seriously, the whole country is just run amok with black panthers..sea to shinning sea and from the Rio Grande to Canada..

Baymule and Rammy like this.
  5. Apr 14, 2018
    Rammy

Rammy Loving the herd life

I know what you mean. Ive not seen one, but my backyard camera sure caught something that looked like a big cat couple years ago. Long body, huge animal. You could tell it wasnt a small house cat. Tail looked very long, with a black tip. It never turned its head towards the camera for me to see but it wasnt a dog.