Preventing fleas?

Erin&G

Just born
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My cat has fleas and I was wondering if that's going to be a problem for my rabbit. He lives outside in a h u ch and a run with a wore floor so the grass likes through. My cat spends a fair amount of time outside and does sometimes hang out around my rabbit's run, but they never interact directly. From what I've read it seems like advantage is really the only safe preventative flea medicine for rabbits. Should I be applying this regularly or just until my cat's fleas are gone? Do I need to use it at all or is it unlikely that the fleas will pass from my cat to my rabbit? Thanks!

walkonfarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes the rabbits can get the fleas from the cat. Need to use something like frontline plus. The plus is the control for hatching flea eggs. Without the plus you can get over run with fleas. I would use the advantage on the rabbit during the summer and early fall. If you use the plus on the cat this year all year long then next year you will not have to treat the rabbit.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
They make a new topical for cats now calked Bravecto. Its in pill form for dogs, but lasts three months. Its great stuff.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes the fleas can spread...
You need to use a flea-treatment designed just for cats, and make sure not to use ones made for dogs (even the small dog treatments) because they most likely contain Pyrethrin or Permethrin, which can kill cats.
They do make flea spot-on treatments, collars and sprays just for cats. Vets Best makes flea spray for cats and it's natural. Advantage makes flea collars, Frontline spot-on for cats works well too.
They also make flea shampoos but I know most cats are impossible to bathe!

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My cat has fleas and I was wondering if that's going to be a problem for my rabbit. He lives outside in a h u ch and a run with a wore floor so the grass likes through. My cat spends a fair amount of time outside and does sometimes hang out around my rabbit's run, but they never interact directly. From what I've read it seems like advantage is really the only safe preventative flea medicine for rabbits. Should I be applying this regularly or just until my cat's fleas are gone? Do I need to use it at all or is it unlikely that the fleas will pass from my cat to my rabbit? Thanks!
Comfortis is an effective oral flea treatment for cats. These liquids are typically applied on one area of your cat and can last for a month before having to be reapplied. Many can start killing off fleas in as little as 12 hours. Topical flea treatments for cats include Revolution, Cheristin for Cats and Advantage II. Personally using this... Highly recommended. :D:D:D:D