True about all the additional costs you mentioned. Still, I think the purchase price will be a considerable hurdle. We have a pretty decent set up already. It’s not fancy, but we’ve got good fences, a small barn, and decent pastures. The barn could stand to be cleaned out a bit so that I can annex more space (right now it’s part animal housing and part storage), and I might consider adding an additional hotwire at the top of our fences, but I anticipate that getting our facilities ready for horses would be more a time investment than a monetary one. Also, most years we cut more hay than our cattle can eat through in a winter. (Last year we donated several excess bales to a horse rescue, lest they just rot in storage.) I definitely realize we’re going to be spending money to maintain any horses who live here, but barring a surprise vet bill or something, I’m thinking it’s going to be on the order of hundreds of dollars spread out over months compared to the thousands I’m expecting to pay in a lump sum to purchase a critter. I guess time will tell.When you get into horses you will realize that the purchase price may be the least of your expenses. Whether you pay a little or pay a lot. It's the only one time cost involved.
You'll want to have a vet check of course. If the vet happens to be familiar with these particular horses I would ask for their opinion of their behavior and health history. Same with the farrier.
Congratulations on finding an excellent trainer. I agree with Promises' comment on the trainer coming to you. I don't remember how many kids you have taking lessons, but if you are doing three or four lessons I think many trainers would consider it.
Sounds like you have some exciting decisions to make!
I intend to! I only know the barn owner in passing. It’s our trainer that I‘m far more friendly with. The trainer was the one who approached me about possibly purchasing some horses, and she says she’ll speak to the owner about it. That was just a few days ago. I’m waiting for the trainer to talk to the owner and then to get back to me about possibilities. Naturally, I’ll negotiate with the owner directly if it comes to that, but I’m just sitting tight in the meanwhile. I’m sure they all have PLENTY to think about and work out at the moment, and I’m in no real hurry.Why not ask?