Profitability with raising, breeding, and milking Nigerian Dwarf goats?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check the regs yourself, even if that means contacting the state to make sure. You can also get some help from your county extension agent(s) and the nearest state agriculture college. Your FFA group and 4H folks may be able to help as well. Don't be afraid to ask for help everywhere that you can!

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that no one is getting rich with dairy goats. My preliminary findings seem to say that we (4-H kids and hobby farm, selling milk for pet consumption and showing) started breaking even with the goats around 3-4 years in. That means the profits are pretty much used up doing regular farm maintenance and caring for the animals. If we make a profit it's under $1000 a year. Nice for a hobby that doesn't drain the account, but not enough to support anyone. One big vet bill or a year of all bucks (selling does is a big part of our income) and it's easy to be in the red. I'm sure after the initial set ups and suck it can be done with some profit depending on the time invested. If you sit at markets and sell soap and other milk products on weekends that would increase your profits for sure. I'd love to be able to do field trips and such, but insurance is prohibitive.

I would suggest that if you start getting into goats you do it because you have a passion for it- not to make money. It's a good goal to be able to break even or have a small mount of profit, IMO.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that no one is getting rich with dairy goats. My preliminary findings seem to say that we (4-H kids and hobby farm, selling milk for pet consumption and showing) started breaking even with the goats around 3-4 years in. That means the profits are pretty much used up doing regular farm maintenance and caring for the animals. If we make a profit it's under $1000 a year. Nice for a hobby that doesn't drain the account, but not enough to support anyone. One big vet bill or a year of all bucks (selling does is a big part of our income) and it's easy to be in the red. I'm sure after the initial set ups and suck it can be done with some profit depending on the time invested. If you sit at markets and sell soap and other milk products on weekends that would increase your profits for sure. I'd love to be able to do field trips and such, but insurance is prohibitive.

I would suggest that if you start getting into goats you do it because you have a passion for it- not to make money. It's a good goal to be able to break even or have a small mount of profit, IMO.

X2

Finge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's more of a getting a loan to get the goats, I'm not real concerned on making money off the goats at the start, since I have a dog I breed that can help me out plenty.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I contacted the county ag office to get a hold of the dairy inspector to figure out the laws and regulations in black and white in my state to figure out making cheese and selling it. It would be virtually impossible. But nothing I read anywhere online told me otherwise.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I've looked into it out of curiosity here also... Very difficult. I plan to stick to selling soaps and lotions... Once I can figure out how to consistently make them well anyway! But I have no plans to get rich doing that. It'll be a little help with hay at most.

Finge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Southern by choice Ill have 2160 square feet to work with, and I was planning on just getting two at first, but Im most likely going to get four now.

@frustratedearthmother I'm not sure, my AG teacher still hasn't given me any paper work on it yet, i'll have to find him in the morning before school and ask.

And for human consumption, it'd be difficult, but I'm not sure on animal Consumption, because I live next to a dog kennel that has over 100 dogs, and i'm trying to figure out of they need milk, which could be a business opportunity, i'm not sure, i'll have to get with my AG teacher and talk to him about it, though, after some talking with my dad, we might also be getting chickens for eggs and getting a small garden going as well to produce more money so I can provide for my goats a lot more than just having goats alone.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, all my 'Folks were involved with farming cotton, corn, and beans (soy) and animals....mainly cattle and mules....in the mid 60's a man good make a profit with 200 acres tilled...and between 50-100 cows.....some hogs for meat...growing all the veggies in the garden.....everyone of them lost All they had.....and they all said to don't start....that is when the 'Mega Farmers' started up controlling hundreds of thousands of Acres.....so, unless ya 'Mass Produce' with a 'Ready Made Market'....you'll never be able to Hope for anymore than 'Breaking Even'....but, to me it is much Better to buy some Feed than a whole lot of 'Stuff' that others 'Blow' their $$$ on.....it is the Highlight of my day to interact with them All....even when I'm feeling 'Bad'....they make me 'Feel' better than if I didn't have them.....the Tabacco people went thru the same thing....even now there are 'Family Farms' that are in the thousands of acres being 'Auctioned' off....lock, stock, and barrel....equipment too $$$....Regulations, .....and no 'Markets'.....it is cows and pigs around here....several have brought goats in....but, no meat markets to sell thru...local...and as others have stated those 'Laws' can be 'Handcuffs' that are much Heavier than one ever Imagine....that's my honest 'Opinion' and assessment in my advice to you.....even breeding dogs there are 'Laws' so many dovs and ya have to have a Breeders Liscense....it is better to 'Walk Into' something with your 'Eyes Open' so ya don't have to feel along the wall for the 'Switch'.