Put a face to a name! Please post your pic here!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 39115

I am at bottom of pic.

Watch your hands on that elevator. Neighbor got his hand caught in one last fall. Ripped the tendons on the back of his hand. Not good for anyone but especially not good for a machinist and gun maker! I've not seen him recently to know what percentage recovery he made. He had promised to be REAL good and not do anything his doctor told him not to do so he had a chance a recovery. That was driving him nuts last year.

and the picture is from 2013, but I like the goats.
Because they are so cute! Quite the armful there. What breed are they? I'm not a goat owner, kinda clueless except for the "earless" Lamancha.

bigdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Glad I found this site. We just adopted our Anatolian-Red Heeler mix puppy. He and litter mates were abandoned and just last week the vet began adopting them out. TRACKER is 3 months old and about 25 pounds. I can tell he has grown in just 1 week with us. Hes very quick to learn from us. We think the vey began some good training basics already. We also own a rabbit, and 2 cats- wh also were abandoned as kittens. Our Main Coon (Mr. T)does not welcome the puppy - and had been guarding our back door and sometimes needs pushed over so we can open the door.

bigdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
'Tracker' is now weighing in at 35 # , & just shy of 4 months. People we meet out and about think he is already a full grown dog. He is such a joy. We are getting lots of exercise with frequent walks. He is doing well visiting the local nursing home and usually does well not to jump on the older folks. The ladies love to pet his soft fur. And NO
20170916_113608.jpg
20170831_221050.jpg
20170916_113608.jpg 20170831_221050.jpg we are not able to pick him up any more!LOL

Don Scroggins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
DonAvatar (1).jpg

Hello,

I'm Don. I'm from SW Missouri. Sustainability and community are my interests. I believe that our future will be in a return to small farms and local economies and to get there, we need to reconnect to our communities. Innovation of traditional methods mixed with current knowledge and new forms are a solid place to start. Co-ops, CSAs, Farmers Markets, Face to face interactions, etc.

Over the past few years we've been raising chickens, both broilers and layers. We found much helpful advice on backyardchickens, and recently discovered this board. We're ready to move to cattle. Or at least our minds are, we've much preparation to do before we're ready for calves. We know we want Jersey and/or Dexter with a goal of midsize breed.

Part of what I'm doing here is research. Trying to settle on what our goals are for this endevor. Ideally we'd just have our heard and live our lives, but there's always need for income and we'd like to do a large portion (if not all) of that from farm enterprises. This will require diversifying. Likely raising some animals to sell as well as market gardening, fruit production and value-added products such as cheese,cider,etc.

That's a little about me. I look forward to getting to know the community.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome @Don Scroggins , Great to have you with us. By all means browse the threads for info as there's a lot there for the taking. The sister sites over ---> there include the gardening site and the self sufficient site both of which may also have stuff you might benefit from.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 39778

Hello,

I'm Don. I'm from SW Missouri. Sustainability and community are my interests. I believe that our future will be in a return to small farms and local economies and to get there, we need to reconnect to our communities. Innovation of traditional methods mixed with current knowledge and new forms are a solid place to start. Co-ops, CSAs, Farmers Markets, Face to face interactions, etc.

Over the past few years we've been raising chickens, both broilers and layers. We found much helpful advice on backyardchickens, and recently discovered this board. We're ready to move to cattle. Or at least our minds are, we've much preparation to do before we're ready for calves. We know we want Jersey and/or Dexter with a goal of midsize breed.

Part of what I'm doing here is research. Trying to settle on what our goals are for this endevor. Ideally we'd just have our heard and live our lives, but there's always need for income and we'd like to do a large portion (if not all) of that from farm enterprises. This will require diversifying. Likely raising some animals to sell as well as market gardening, fruit production and value-added products such as cheese,cider,etc.

That's a little about me. I look forward to getting to know the community.

Welcome to the forum! You say you want Jersey or Dexter, would that be for on farm milk sales? Here in Texas, it is legal to sell raw milk, on farm only. You might research your state laws on that. Jerseys are nice cows, don't know much about Dexters. Go join in the fun in the forum, just be warned, we all love PICTURES!

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome Don Scroggins!
I'm a member of this site and also a member on their sister site-Sufficent Self.
I, myself, have gained some info from being a member on both sites so I can tell you that being a member on both is very helpful and beneficial.
I have chickens that are only layers but have a mixed herd of steers (currently 4; Houdini red Dexter around age 3, Shadow black Dexter around age 1, Mouthy Buddy Black Angus around age 1, and last but not least my all time favorite Taco White-Faced Hereford).
The chickens I have are Buff Orpington (around 15 hens plus a rooster), Rhode Island Red (around 20 plus a rooster), 1 Easter Egger rooster and 2 RIP/BO Cross babies (Munchkin almost 4 months old and Peeper almost 3 months old). The BO rooster and EE rooster belong to me but if you ask my Uncle who I live with (starting renting from him when he was an over the road hauler) whose chickens they are, he'll tell you they are mine.
There's also an strictly outside cat named Halloween. She's a royal pain in the keister!!!
I also have 3 indoor cats (well their really not mine!). Midnight, med-long hair domestic 2yr old female-fixed (belongs to my Uncle), Rigby, grey tiger 2 yr old male- not fixed and Type, grey tiger about 1 yr male-not fixed. Rigby and Tyge actually belong to a cousin who used to live bit moved out in May of this year and hasn't came back for them.