Quick question about LGD breeds

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
She does love those belly rubs I will go out after dinner to pick up her dish and she will roll right over on her back for a good belly rub and scratching she gets a lot of love. I am not indifferent to her.Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel that way. You wouldn’t have posted if you didn’t want to make it work. I admitted that I’ve learned a lot along the way, as I’m sure you are too.

@Southern by choice I’ve had a thought...is it possible that she’s not getting a chance to rest and does need a partner? I don’t want to recommend this outright without your input...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't always succeed. Our Akbash has been a training issue almost non-stop since we got her. We have gone backward a bit then she seems perfectly fine for a couple of weeks. She did a major no-no today. For absolutely no reason, he went after Ringo then switched to one our registered ewes then went after Maisy. The major no-no was when Teresa went in to call him off and he lunged at her. In the past I have always been able to call him off but he is doing too much damage. So Fred you aren't the only one that has ups and downs. :)

I may try to rehome him but it can't be as an LGD and I wouldn't trust him around kids either since I have no idea what sets him off.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Baymule,
The reason the whole crate thing came up is because the Texas coalition for the protection of animals has offered to give the dog all of it's shots and vaccinations along with spaying her for 100.00.You drop her off between 8 and 9 am and pick her up at three the ask that the dogs be crated because their facilities do not have a lot of cage capacity otherwise I would not even own a crate. Sometimes at night when she is barking I will go out and give her a bone and ask her what she's barking at.
Now that you have explained it, I understand.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know the full story so don’t want to jump to anything…but euthanasia would be a consideration here :( That is scary.

That is what is going to happen. I just wanted to pass on to Fred that sometimes all the training in the world may not work on all dogs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh Mike, not Thor. I am sorry that this has come to pass. It could be a result of some not so desirable genetics. Have you let his breeder know and have any of the other dogs in that litter gone off the deep end? I know it’s not because of his treatment.

Going after Ringo was bad, going after a registered ewe was worse. Going after Maisy and Teresa is unforgivable.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know the farm he came from and they have some of the best Akbash in the state. They only selectively breed and not often. I've seen this coming for some time now which is why we kept going backward in his training. It's like a switch goes off and especially in the last couple of days, it's completely out of control. All of the "going after" this afternoon was in the span of about 90 seconds and no idea what triggered it. At this point, it's a done deal since now my girl is afraid of him.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS, that is sad...I had to put down an LGD one time for similar behavior, only mine was an adult. He started growling at me when he was sleeping in his spot under the barn, then he attacked my Boer buck, and then he growled at me when I tried to remove him from my buck. They are big powerful dogs and that behavior is just too dangerous. But boy or boy is it hard to make that decision. My heart is heavy for you.

Latest posts